Calculate coefficients of expansion for vector y

In summary, coefficients of expansion are values that represent the change in size or volume of a material with temperature. They are calculated by dividing the change in length or volume of a material by its original length or volume, multiplied by the change in temperature. This information is important in understanding the behavior of materials under different temperature conditions and can vary depending on the molecular structure and bonding of the material. While considered constant values, coefficients of expansion may change over time and should be regularly measured and updated for accurate predictions.
nacreous

Homework Statement

Let v(0) = [0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5]T, v(1) = [0.5 0.5 -0.5 -0.5]T, v(2) = [0.5 -0.5 0.5 -0.5]T, and z = [-0.5 0.5 0.5 1.5]T.

a) How many v(3) can we find to make {v(0), v(1), v(2), v(3)} a fully orthogonal basis?

b) What are z's coefficients of expansion αk in the basis found in part a)?

Homework Equations

See attempt at solution. I thought I had the answers, but according to my online test, they are wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Row reduction:
0.5a + 0.5b + 0.5c + 0.5d = 0 → a - d = 0
0.5a + 0.5b - 0.5c - 0.5d = 0 → b + d = 0
0.5a - 0.5b + 0.5c - 0.5d = 0 → c + d = 0 so ±a = ±d = ∓b = ∓c.

Then v(3) must take the form [t -t -t t]T. There are two if t = ±0.5, so the answer to a) is 2. (Marked wrong.)

b) I know the answer is asking me to find α0, α1, α2, α3 such that z = [-0.5 0.5 0.5 1.5]T = v(0)α0 + v(1)α1 + v(2)2 + v(3)α3. My notes talk about the change of basis in 2 dimensions but not 4 and I'm having trouble translating the concept to 4D...

I have [x0 x1]T = α0[1 0]T + α1[1 1]T; α0 = x0 - x1 and α1 = x1. So I assumed that I can do row reduction here as well:

z = v(0)α0 + v(1)α1 + v(2)α2 + v(3)α3 using v(3) = [0.5 -0.5 -0.5 0.5]T from part a)

multiply the following {} by 0.5:
{α012 + α3 = -1
α01 - α2 - α3 = 1
α0 - α1 + α2 - α3 = 1
α0 - α1 - α2 + α3 = 3}

getting α0 = 1, α1 = -1, α2 = -1, and α3 = 0. (Marked wrong).

I'm so stuck on this answer that I don't know how to proceed correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) Why should t be +-0.5?

b) Seems fine to me.

For part a, I agree with Orodruin, there seems to be no such restriction on what t should be, other than non-zero.
For part b, your development with the vectors you used was right. I suspect if you get the correct form for part a, you will get the correct solution for b. Try solving for the last coefficient as a function of t, where t represents your constant coefficient on the vector [1,-1,-1,1].
**edit, it would still be zero -- never mind**

Orodruin said:
a) Why should t be +-0.5?

Good point. I thought that t would have to have a value of 0.5 if it was to be fully orthogonal with the other three v-vectors. I suppose then that there would be more than two solutions (my options were 0, 1, 2, >2). Which makes solving for the variables in b easier as I have more vectors to choose from to plug into the problem.

Thanks! At least I have the technique down so I'm satisfied. Now to earn the exam points...

Last edited:
RUber said:
For part a, I agree with Orodruin, there seems to be no such restriction on what t should be, other than non-zero.
For part b, your development with the vectors you used was right. I suspect if you get the correct form for part a, you will get the correct solution for b. Try solving for the last coefficient as a function of t, where t represents your constant coefficient on the vector [1,-1,-1,1].
**edit, it would still be zero -- never mind**

a) I thought that t would have to have a value of 0.5 if it was to be fully orthogonal with the other three v-vectors. But I suppose that defeats the purpose of being able to transform the vectors in the first place. The options I had for this problem were 0, 1, 2, and >2, so there would be more than two solutions for v(3).

b) With part a) in mind, I guess there would be more than just one variable instead of just one t. At least I used the correct method for this problem. If t is nonzero, though, I don't understand why t = 0.5 wouldn't work. As for your solving for an f(t) instead of a constant t, I guess over the entire signal it would sum to zero. Don't quote me on that though!

nacreous said:
I thought that t would have to have a value of 0.5 if it was to be fully orthogonal with the other three v-vectors.
Orthogonality does not depend on the vector normalisation.

nacreous said:
If t is nonzero, though, I don't understand why t = 0.5 wouldn't work.
##t## has to be non-zero. Otherwise it is linearly dependent on the other vectors and does not form a complete basis. ##t = 0.5## works perfectly well.

Related to Calculate coefficients of expansion for vector y

1. What are coefficients of expansion?

Coefficients of expansion, also known as expansion coefficients, are values that represent the change in size or volume of a material with temperature. They are used to calculate how much a material will expand or contract when subjected to changes in temperature.

2. How are coefficients of expansion calculated?

Coefficients of expansion are calculated by dividing the change in length or volume of a material by its original length or volume, multiplied by the change in temperature. This calculation can be represented by the equation: α = (ΔL/L0)ΔT, where α is the coefficient of expansion, ΔL is the change in length, L0 is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What is the significance of calculating coefficients of expansion for vector y?

Calculating coefficients of expansion for vector y allows scientists to understand how this specific vector will respond to temperature changes. This information is important in various fields such as materials science, engineering, and thermodynamics, as it can help predict the behavior of materials and structures under different temperature conditions.

4. How do different materials have different coefficients of expansion?

The coefficient of expansion for a material depends on its molecular structure and bonding. Materials with weaker bonds, such as gases and liquids, tend to have higher coefficients of expansion compared to materials with stronger bonds, such as solids. Additionally, the type of bond (ionic, covalent, metallic) and the arrangement of molecules also play a role in determining the coefficient of expansion.

5. Can coefficients of expansion change over time?

Coefficients of expansion are considered constant values for a specific material and temperature range. However, they may change over time due to factors such as aging, exposure to radiation, or chemical reactions. It is important to regularly measure and update coefficients of expansion for accurate calculations and predictions.