Calculate Change in Speed Using Unit Vectors: Easy Physics Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the change in speed of an object given its initial and final velocities. The solution involves finding the difference between the magnitudes of the two velocities, but the question asks about the meaning of the scalar obtained from finding the difference in velocities. The scalar is not wrong, but it measures something different from the change in speed. The change in speed is simply the magnitude of the change in velocity, and it may be significantly different from the change in velocity itself.
Deadawake
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Actually that's very easy question but I have some difficult to understand the logic behind .
So-"The initial velocity of an object (m/s) is Vi=1i+5j+2k. And the final velocity is Vf=3i+5j+7k. What was the change in speed of the object?"X
Solution -
|Vf|-|Vi| = √(32+52+72)-√(12+52+22) = 3.63 m/s
My question -
If I would do |Vf-Vi| - why is it wrong ? And what is the meaning of the scalar I get from this equation? Has to be some connection to the "change in speed". I just can't see it clearly.Thanks again, just started to learn physics and I love it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deadawake said:
If I would do |Vf-Vi| - why is it wrong ? And what is the meaning of the scalar I get from this equation? Has to be some connection to the "change in speed". I just can't see it clearly.
That's the change in velocity, ##\Delta \mathbf{v} = \mathbf{v}_f - \mathbf{v}_i##. If you divide by the time it took for that change in velocity to happen, you get the effective acceleration:
$$
\mathbf{a} = \frac{\Delta \mathbf{v}}{\Delta t}
$$
So it isn't "wrong," it just measures something else.

To visualize it, I suggest taking ##\mathbf{v}_i = 1 \mathbf{i}## and ##\mathbf{v}_f = 1 \mathbf{j}##, where you have no change in speed, but an obvious change in velocity.

They just want the change in speed, which is the magnitude of the velocity. No deep meaning here.

And the change in speed can easily be vastly different than the change in velocity. For example, If your initial velocity was 5 m/s to the left and your final was 5 m/s to the right, your change in speed is zero but your change in velocity is 10 m/s to the right.

Related to Calculate Change in Speed Using Unit Vectors: Easy Physics Solution

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1, often used to represent direction in a given space. It is typically denoted by a lowercase letter with a caret (^) above it, such as .

2. How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, divide each component of the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with the same direction, but a magnitude of 1.

3. Can a unit vector have negative components?

Yes, a unit vector can have negative components. The important factor is that the magnitude is 1, not the direction of the vector.

4. Why are unit vectors important in mathematics and physics?

Unit vectors are important because they allow us to represent direction in a given space without the influence of magnitude. This makes them useful for solving problems involving direction, such as calculating forces or velocities in physics.

5. How are unit vectors used in vector operations?

Unit vectors are often used in vector operations to simplify calculations and represent direction. For example, in dot product and cross product calculations, unit vectors are used to represent the direction of the vectors being multiplied.