Calculate Balance Point Distance: A, B, C & D

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the balance point for a 'seesaw' type balance. The person is trying to position a handle in the center of a product so that it will be balanced when lifted. They need to know the distances from below the center of mass of each weight on the beam to the pivot point in order to calculate the balance point.
r4v3n
Hi All

Ive been racking my brains and i just can't remember how to calculate a 'seesaw' type balance point!?

Please see the attachment - It am trying to work out what 'C' is (I know A, B & D)

Thanks very much

Attachments

• unknown bal point.jpg
    unknown bal point.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know the distances from below the centre of mass of each of the weights on the beam to the pivot point.

Call these E (on the left) and F (on the right).

Then A * E = B * F if the beam is balanced and weightless.

sorry i mean this

Hi

Sorry for the confusion - please see my new attachment with a more accurate diagram.

Basically i am trying to position a handle in the center of a product so when it is lifted it will be balanced.

Again I am after 'C'

thanks very much

Attachments

• unknown bal point2.jpg
    unknown bal point2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 442
No, you have to know where the weights act on the beam.

This is below the center of mass of each weight and not at the end of the beam.

Hello,

The balance point of a seesaw is the point at which the seesaw is perfectly balanced, with the weight on one side equal to the weight on the other side. To calculate the balance point distance, you will need to know the weights of objects A, B, C, and D and their distances from the fulcrum, or pivot point, of the seesaw.

To find the balance point distance, you can use the formula:

Balance point distance = (weight of A x distance of A from fulcrum) + (weight of B x distance of B from fulcrum) / (weight of A + weight of B)

In this case, you already know the weights and distances of A, B, and D. To find the weight of object C, you can use the fact that the seesaw is balanced, so the weight on one side must be equal to the weight on the other side.

Therefore, you can set up the equation:

(weight of A x distance of A from fulcrum) + (weight of B x distance of B from fulcrum) = (weight of C x distance of C from fulcrum) + (weight of D x distance of D from fulcrum)

Solving for weight of C, you get:

Weight of C = [(weight of A x distance of A from fulcrum) + (weight of B x distance of B from fulcrum) - (weight of D x distance of D from fulcrum)] / distance of C from fulcrum

Once you have the weight of C, you can plug it into the formula above to calculate the balance point distance.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Calculate Balance Point Distance: A, B, C & D

1. How do I calculate the balance point distance for points A, B, C, and D?

To calculate the balance point distance for points A, B, C, and D, you will need to determine the coordinates of each point and then use the formula: distance = (Ax + Bx + Cx + Dx) / 4. This will give you the average distance between the points and the balance point.

2. What is the significance of the balance point distance?

The balance point distance is an important measure in determining the overall balance of a system. It represents the average distance between multiple points and can help identify areas of imbalance or symmetry within the system.

3. Can I use this calculation for any number of points?

Yes, the balance point distance calculation can be used for any number of points. Simply add the coordinates for each point and divide by the total number of points to find the average distance.

4. What units should I use for the coordinates?

The units for the coordinates will depend on the units used for the system being measured. It is important to use consistent units for all points to ensure an accurate calculation of the balance point distance.

5. How can I interpret the balance point distance?

The balance point distance can be interpreted as the average distance between multiple points, with a larger distance indicating greater imbalance and a smaller distance indicating greater symmetry. It can also be compared to previous calculations to track changes in the system over time.