Calculate Airplane Weight | Help Solving Problem

In summary, an airplane has an effective wing surface area of 15.9m^2 that is generating the lift force. In level flight the air speed over the top of the wings is 61.5m/s, while the air speed beneath the wings is 52.2m/s. The weight of the plane is
SnowOwl18
----An airplane has an effective wing surface area of 15.9m^2 that is generating the lift force. In level flight the air speed over the top of the wings is 61.5m/s, while the air speed beneath the wings is 52.2m/s. What is the weight of the plane?----

I tried looking through my textbook and lecture notes, but nothing is really discussed about how to solve a problem like this. Would anyone be able to help me figure this out? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoulli's equation may be applicable :)

mm that makes sense...but I'm not sure how i could come up with the weight from that equation. is there another equation i could use with bernoulli's to get the weight?
thanks so far :)

SnowOwl18 said:
mm that makes sense...but I'm not sure how i could come up with the weight from that equation. is there another equation i could use with bernoulli's to get the weight?
thanks so far :)

No,it's just that u need to know the air's density (assumed constant,of course).It's about [itex] 1,29 kg m^{-3} [/itex] under normal conditions of pressure and temperature.
The gravity should be balanced perfectly by the aerodynamic force.From this eqality you'll find your answer.

I have a modified version of Bernoulli's equation that seems to apply : P1-P2= 1/2 p (V2^2-V1^2) ...and I know how to plug in all the numbers, but I'm still not seeing how I can derive weight from that...even with the regular equation I still don't see how weight can be found. Sorry to sound so clueless; I'm not sure what I'm missing...

Bernoulli's equation allows you to find the pressure difference. Combine that with the effective surface area to get the lift force. As dextercioby says, that will balance the weight of the plane.

ah I see it now! Thanks so much :D

Related to Calculate Airplane Weight | Help Solving Problem

1. How do I calculate the weight of an airplane?

To calculate the weight of an airplane, you will need to know the weight of each individual component, including the body, wings, engines, fuel, and payload. Once you have these weights, you can add them together to determine the total weight of the airplane.

2. What units should be used to measure the weight of an airplane?

The weight of an airplane is typically measured in pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg). However, it is important to use consistent units throughout your calculations.

3. How does the weight of an airplane affect its performance?

The weight of an airplane has a direct impact on its performance. A heavier airplane will require more thrust to take off and maintain flight, and may have a slower climb rate and lower maximum speed. It can also affect fuel efficiency and the amount of cargo or passengers that can be carried.

4. What factors can contribute to changes in an airplane's weight?

Several factors can contribute to changes in an airplane's weight, including fuel consumption, cargo and passenger load, and the addition or removal of equipment or modifications. Weather conditions such as temperature and humidity can also affect the weight of an airplane.

5. How can I ensure an accurate calculation of an airplane's weight?

To ensure an accurate calculation of an airplane's weight, it is important to use precise measurements for each component and to account for any changes that may occur during the flight. It can also be helpful to double-check your calculations and consult with other professionals in the field.