Calculate a Triple Integral using the cylindrical coordinate system

In summary, In order to solve this problem, you need to deal separately with the case x + z > 1. This means breaking the integral into two parts: one for 0 ≤ φ ≤ π/2, and another for π/2 ≤ φ ≤ 2π. In the first part, you integrate from 0 to 1/(sinφ+cosφ) for ρ and from 0 to 1 for y, while in the second part, you integrate from 0 to 1 for ρ and from 0 to 1-ρ(cosφ+sinφ) for y. By doing this, you will get the correct answer of -1/3 + 1/8 -(3π
Gabry89
I don't understand what's wrong with it:

Esn1411pag394.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gabry89! Happy new year! :smile:

In your condition 0 ≤ y ≤ 1 - x - z,

you need to deal separately with the case x + z > 1. :wink:

thanks, Happy new year too ;)

I thought about that, here's what I've done:

Esn1411pag3942.jpg

no, that doesn't work …

you're integrating ρ from 1/(cosφ + sinφ) to 1 …

which doesn't work for cosφ + sinφ < 1 :redface:

as i said, deal separately with the case x + z > 1.

^i think I've understood what you mean but i just don't realize where's the case x+z > 1, i just see x + z <= 1

Gabry89 said:
^i think I've understood what you mean but i just don't realize where's the case x+z > 1, i just see x + z <= 1

I don't know about you, but I see [tex]x^2 + z^2 \leq 1[/tex].

^yes, that's not what i mean, i mean that

0<= y <= 1-x-z then x+z <= 1 not x+z > 1 as the case that tiny-tim was talkin' about

Gabry89 said:
… i just don't realize where's the case x+z > 1, i just see x + z <= 1

Exactly … you've dealt with x + z > 1 in the same way as x + z ≤ 1, getting a negative integral (ie with the "upper" limit lower than the "lower" limit) for the second one.

You need to write the integrals separately, so that you can put the second one equal to zero.

Gabry89 said:
^yes, that's not what i mean, i mean that

0<= y <= 1-x-z then x+z <= 1 not x+z > 1 as the case that tiny-tim was talkin' about

[STRIKE]Just because [tex]0\leq y \leq 1-x-z[/tex] does not mean that [tex]x+z \leq 1[/tex]. The one does not follow from the other.[/STRIKE] Cancel that.

What tiny-tim is talking about is that if you want to integrate over the entire circle, you have to then subtract the part of the circle where x+z>1.

[EDITED]

In problems like this, a picture is worth a thousand words. I plotted y upwards:

forumproblem.jpg

The point is that the slanted plane goes "underground" ("ground" means where y = 0) with respect to y, so you can't include the brown area in your domain.

^then -1 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 0 and the same for z?

I'd use the fact that the plane x+y+z=1 crosses the base of the cylinder which is x2+z2=1, y=0.

Char. Limit said:
What tiny-tim is talking about is that if you want to integrate over the entire circle, you have to then subtract the part of the circle where x+z>1.

i've understood it theoretically but i don't know how to put it into practice: i have to deal separately with the case x+z<=1 and x+z>1 then, is the first case the one that i did in the first post? which gives me - pi/4? so, i just have to do the part related to x+z>1.

Last edited:
Gabry89 said:
thanks, Happy new year too ;)

I thought about that, here's what I've done:

Esn1411pag3942.jpg

In the xz-plane, you have x2 + z2 ≤ 1 AND x + z ≤ 1.

x2 + z2 ≤ 1 is the circle of radius 1, centered at the origin and the interior of this circle. (In cylindrical coordinates, this is ρ ≤ 1 .)

x + z ≤ 1 is the line, x + z = 1, and the half-plane on the origin side of this line. (In cylindrical coordinates, this line has the equation, ρ = 1/(sin(φ)+cos(φ) ) .)

(So, the region described by, x2 + z2 ≤ 1 AND x + z ≤ 1, is the portion of the above circular region on the origin side of the above line.)

The above line, and circle, intersect at (ρ=1, φ=0) and (ρ=1, φ=π/2).

Therefore, you need to break your integral up.

For 0 ≤ φ ≤ π/2, 0 ≤ ρ ≤ 1/(sin(φ)+cos(φ)).

For π/2 ≤ φ ≤ 2π, 0 ≤ ρ ≤ 1.​

By the way, your integral, [tex]\displaystyle \dots \int_{{{1}\over{\cos\varphi+\sin\varphi}}}^{\ 1} (\dots)\,d\varphi\ \dots[/tex]
integrates only over the region of the circle which should be excluded from the integration.

^like this then:

Esn1411pag3943.jpg

Gabry89 said:
^like this then:

Esn1411pag3943.jpg
Looks good to me. Do the integration & see if the answer checks out.

One other note. You can think of the xz domain as a 3/4 circle plus a right triangle. There is no reason to do the right triangle portion in polar coordinates; it only complicates matters. You could integrate the 3/4 circle in polar coordinates and the triangle in rectangular.

SammyS said:
Looks good to me. Do the integration & see if the answer checks out.

Ok, even if the first one looks kinda complicated 'cause i get (talkin' about [tex]\rho)[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] from 0 to 1/(sin[tex]\varphi[/tex]+cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]) of [tex]\rho[/tex]^2 and besides the same for [tex]\rho[/tex]^3, then is there an easier way to solve these integrals than e.g. calculating the cube?

the second one gives me a part of the answer so it seems right.

Gabry89 said:
Ok, even if the first one looks kinda complicated 'cause i get (talkin' about [tex]\rho)[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] from 0 to 1/(sin[tex]\varphi[/tex]+cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]) of [tex]\rho[/tex]^2 and besides the same for [tex]\rho[/tex]^3, then is there an easier way to solve these integrals than e.g. calculating the cube?

the second one gives me a part of the answer so it seems right.
If you are allowed to do part of the integration in rectangular coordinates, then using rectangular coordinates for [tex]\displaystyle 0\le\varphi \le\pi/2[/tex] appears to be straight forward.

If not:
It may be helpful to know that [tex] \sin x+\cos x=\sqrt{2}\,\sin\left(x+{{\pi}\over{4}}\right)= \sqrt{2}\,\cos\left(x-{{\pi}\over{4}}\right)\,.[/tex]

So that [tex] {{1}\over{\sin \varphi+\cos \varphi}}=\sqrt{2}\,\csc\left(\varphi+{{\pi}\over{4}}\right)= \sqrt{2}\,\sec\left(\varphi-{{\pi}\over{4}}\right)\,.[/tex]

I've got an appointment to keep. I'll look at this later.

By the way, what part of the answer have you gotten thus far? ... What part of the integral have you done?

SammyS said:

By the way, what part of the answer have you gotten thus far? ... What part of the integral have you done?

i did [tex]\int[/tex]from pi/2 to 2pi [tex]\int[/tex] from 0 to 1 [tex]\int[/tex] 0 to 1-[tex]\rho[/tex]cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]-[tex]\rho[/tex]sin[tex]\varphi[/tex] of [([tex]\rho[/tex]^2)cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]] dy d[tex]\rho[/tex] d[tex]\varphi[/tex]

which gives me -1/3 + 1/8 -(3pi)/16 so a part of the right result ( we can see -(3pi)/16)

SammyS said:

It may be helpful to know that [tex] \sin x+\cos x=\sqrt{2}\,\sin\left(x+{{\pi}\over{4}}\right)= \sqrt{2}\,\cos\left(x-{{\pi}\over{4}}\right)\,.[/tex]

So that [tex] {{1}\over{\sin \varphi+\cos \varphi}}=\sqrt{2}\,\csc\left(\varphi+{{\pi}\over{4}}\right)= \sqrt{2}\,\sec\left(\varphi-{{\pi}\over{4}}\right)\,.[/tex]
The above identities don't really help.

Gabry89 said:
i did [tex]\int_{\pi/2}^{2\pi}[/tex] [tex]\int_0^1[/tex] [tex]\int_0^{1-\rho\cos\varphi-\rho\sin\varphi}\rho^2\,\cos\varphi\ dy\ d\rho\ d\varphi[/tex]

which gives me -1/3 + 1/8 -(3pi)/16 so a part of the right result ( we can see -(3pi)/16)

What you got for this part of the integral looks like it's right. BTW: -1/3 + 1/8 = -5/24

Gabry89 said:
^like this then:

Esn1411pag3943.jpg

Your first integral, [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\int_0^{1/(\cos\varphi+\sin\varphi)}[/tex] [tex]\int_0^{1-\rho\cos\varphi-\rho\sin\varphi}\rho^2\,\cos\varphi\ dy\ d\rho\ d\varphi[/tex]

will work out pretty nicely. Write the upper limit of the dy integral as [tex]1-\rho(\cos\varphi+\sin\varphi)\,.[/tex]

This will give you:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\int_0^{1/(\cos\varphi+\sin\varphi)}[/tex] [tex]\int_0^{1-\rho(\cos\varphi+\sin\varphi)}\rho^2\,\cos\varphi\ dy\ d\rho\ d\varphi[/tex]

When you plug in for ρ3 and ρ4, it will take some algebra & trig, but the answer does work out.

i'm arrived at this integral: 1/12 *

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\ (cos\varphi)/[cos\varphi+sin\varphi]^3 d\varphi
[/tex]i've seen that it gives me 1/24 using a calculator so I've found the correct result but i just don't know how to get to 1/2 solving the integral.

Last edited:
cosφ + sinφ = cos(φ - π/4)√2 :wink:

(as SammyS said)

Related to Calculate a Triple Integral using the cylindrical coordinate system

What is a triple integral in the cylindrical coordinate system?

A triple integral in the cylindrical coordinate system is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape in cylindrical coordinates. It involves integrating a function over a region in the cylindrical coordinate system.

What are the steps to calculate a triple integral using the cylindrical coordinate system?

The steps to calculate a triple integral using the cylindrical coordinate system are:

• 1. Identify the limits of integration for each variable (r, θ, and z).
  • 2. Set up the integral using the appropriate formula for cylindrical coordinates.
  • 3. Evaluate the integral by first integrating with respect to z, then θ, and finally r.

When is it useful to use the cylindrical coordinate system for triple integrals?

The cylindrical coordinate system is useful for calculating triple integrals when the shape being integrated over has cylindrical symmetry, meaning it can be described using a cylinder or circular shape. It is also useful when the limits of integration are easier to define in cylindrical coordinates.

Can a triple integral using the cylindrical coordinate system be converted to rectangular coordinates?

Yes, a triple integral using the cylindrical coordinate system can be converted to rectangular coordinates. This can be done by using a change of variables formula and adjusting the limits of integration accordingly.

What are some real-life applications of calculating triple integrals using the cylindrical coordinate system?

Some real-life applications of calculating triple integrals using the cylindrical coordinate system include calculating the volume of cylindrical objects such as pipes or tanks, determining the mass or density of objects with cylindrical symmetry, and calculating electric or gravitational fields in cylindrical systems.