Calculate 2nd order Taylor polynomial of a given function

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the 2nd order Taylor polynomial of a function ##g## at the point (0,0), given that the function ##f## satisfies certain conditions and the Hessian matrix of ##g## at (0,0) is needed. The student is stuck at the beginning of the exercise and is unsure how to calculate the first and second partial derivatives of ##g##, but believes the fundamental theorem of calculus and the chain rule must be used. They are requesting assistance with an example of how to calculate the partial derivatives.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##f:\mathbb R^2 \to \mathbb R## / ##f \in C^2##, ##f(0,0)=0## and ##\nabla f(0,0)=(0,1)## ##Df(0,0)=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1\\
1 & 2\\
\end{pmatrix}##
Let ##g:\mathbb R^2 \to \mathbb R## / ##g \in C^2## and

##g(x,y)=\int_0^{f(x,y)} e^{t^2}dt##

Calculate the 2nd order Taylor polynomial of ##g## at ##(0,0)##

The attempt at a solution.

If ##P_{(0,0)}## is the 2nd order polynomial of ##g## at the origin, then ##P_(0,0)## is

##P_{(0,0)}=g(0,0)+<\nabla g(0,0),(x,y)>+(x,y)H_{(g)(0,0)}{(x,y)}^T##

##H_{(g)(0,0)}## denotes the Hessian matrix of ##g## at ##(0,0)##.

I got stuck at the very beginning of the exercise, I have basic doubts: I don't know how to calculate the first and second partial derivatives of ##g##, that is the whole point of the exercise, but I still don't have any idea what to do. I suppose I must use the fundamental theorem of calculus and the chain rule at some point.

I would appreciate if someone could show me how to calculate the partial derivatives of ##g## with an example.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##f:\mathbb R^2 \to \mathbb R## / ##f \in C^2##, ##f(0,0)=0## and ##\nabla f(0,0)=(0,1)## ##Df(0,0)=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1\\
1 & 2\\
\end{pmatrix}##
Let ##g:\mathbb R^2 \to \mathbb R## / ##g \in C^2## and

##g(x,y)=\int_0^{f(x,y)} e^{t^2}dt##

Calculate the 2nd order Taylor polynomial of ##g## at ##(0,0)##

The attempt at a solution.

If ##P_{(0,0)}## is the 2nd order polynomial of ##g## at the origin, then ##P_(0,0)## is

##P_{(0,0)}=g(0,0)+<\nabla g(0,0),(x,y)>+(x,y)H_{(g)(0,0)}{(x,y)}^T##

##H_{(g)(0,0)}## denotes the Hessian matrix of ##g## at ##(0,0)##.

I got stuck at the very beginning of the exercise, I have basic doubts: I don't know how to calculate the first and second partial derivatives of ##g##, that is the whole point of the exercise, but I still don't have any idea what to do. I suppose I must use the fundamental theorem of calculus and the chain rule at some point.

I would appreciate if someone could show me how to calculate the partial derivatives of ##g## with an example.

You say you "suppose I must use the fundamental theorem of calculus and the chain rule..." So just do it! If something is stopping you from doing it you need to tell us exactly where you are stuck.

Related to Calculate 2nd order Taylor polynomial of a given function

What is a 2nd order Taylor polynomial?

A 2nd order Taylor polynomial is a mathematical approximation of a given function using a polynomial of degree 2. It is used to estimate the value of a function at a specific point.

How is a 2nd order Taylor polynomial calculated?

To calculate a 2nd order Taylor polynomial, you need to take the first two derivatives of the function at the point of interest and evaluate them at that point. Then, you plug in these values into the general formula for a 2nd order Taylor polynomial: f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + (f''(a)/2!)(x-a)^2, where a is the point of interest.

What is the purpose of calculating a 2nd order Taylor polynomial?

The purpose of calculating a 2nd order Taylor polynomial is to approximate the value of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in situations where the exact value of the function is difficult to obtain or when only an approximation is needed.

What is the difference between a 1st and 2nd order Taylor polynomial?

The main difference between a 1st and 2nd order Taylor polynomial is the degree of the polynomial used. A 1st order Taylor polynomial uses a polynomial of degree 1, while a 2nd order Taylor polynomial uses a polynomial of degree 2. This means that the 2nd order polynomial provides a more accurate approximation of the function than the 1st order polynomial.

Can a 2nd order Taylor polynomial be used to find the exact value of a function?

No, a 2nd order Taylor polynomial is an approximation of a function and cannot be used to find the exact value of a function. However, as the approximation becomes more accurate as the degree of the polynomial increases, a 2nd order Taylor polynomial can provide a good estimate of the function's value.