Calc w/ analytic geometry test

In summary, the speaker is trying to test into a Calculus with Analytic Geometry class at their school. They have previously taken an AP Calculus class in high school but did not take the test and took a gap year before college. They recently applied to the school and need a certain score on the math portion of the ACT to be admitted to the Calculus class. They are currently in Algebra and Trig, but feel it is below their level and have requested to transfer to the Calc class. They are unsure of what they should study for the entrance exam and are seeking advice. Another person suggests just taking the test and using the semester in pre-calc as an opportunity to review and get ahead in university mathematics. The speaker clar
sia.wears.hats
So I am trying to test into the Calculus with Analytic Geometry class at my school. I've already taken the first AP Calculus class my senior year of high school (but wasn't particularly concerned with my grade, and never took the test, since it was an extra curricular class for me). Then I took a gap year before college. When I applied this spring, they needed my ACT score (which I also hadn't taken). I took it and only got a 25 (a 27 is needed for the calc class) on the math portion of it (I hadn't so much as thought of an equation in over a year!)

Now I'm in Algebra and Trig but it's below my level and I've requested to transfer to the Calc class. My prof is writing up the exam for me to take tomorrow but never responded to my email about what I should go over.

Any suggestions on what exactly I should study? Maybe a helpful link or two to a study guide/problems? I'd really appreciate any advice/suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take the test. If the material in pre-calc truly is "below [your] level", then you should have no problem. If you really need to study just to pass an entrance exam, then you probably haven't mastered the prerequisite material needed to do well in the course.

If you pass, great. If not, use your semester in pre-calc as an opportunity to get off to a really good start to a successful run in university mathematics. It's better to spend a semester ahead of the game than it is to try and bump yourself up to a level higher than where you belong and be behind for the rest of your time taking math classes.

The material in my current course is below my level. I've read through the homework and quizzes through the rest of the semester and it's all stuff that was covered in math classes I've had before, all things that I do remember without trouble.

I guess I phrased my question wrong by using the word "study." "Brushing up" would be better. I've been out of a math class for more than a year and I just wanted to know what would be expected for me to know already in a Calculus class so I could go over it and make sure I remember it all. All I need to do is get a decent review in before the exam so I don't forget something silly like the quadratic formula.

The syllabus, homework, and quizzes from the class that you're in should give a fair picture of what you will be expected to know going into calculus. I reckon the person writing the test will consider it all fair game.

I can understand your situation and the importance of testing into the Calculus with Analytic Geometry class at your school. It sounds like you have some background in calculus from your AP class, but it has been a while since you have actively used those skills. Additionally, taking a gap year and not having taken the ACT may have affected your math skills.

In order to prepare for your exam tomorrow, I would suggest reviewing the basics of calculus such as derivatives, integrals, and basic applications. You can find study guides and practice problems online through reputable sources such as Khan Academy or CollegeBoard. It may also be helpful to review your notes and textbooks from your previous calculus class.

In terms of specific topics to focus on, I would recommend reviewing the fundamental theorem of calculus, optimization problems, and related rates. These are common topics covered in a first-year calculus course and will likely be included on your exam.

Additionally, it may be beneficial to practice solving problems and working through examples. This will help you brush up on your skills and build confidence for the exam.

I understand that your professor has not responded to your email, but I would also suggest reaching out to classmates or other resources at your school for additional support and study materials. Good luck on your exam and I hope you are able to successfully test into the Calculus with Analytic Geometry class.

Related to Calc w/ analytic geometry test

1. What topics are typically covered on a "Calc w/ analytic geometry" test?

A "Calc w/ analytic geometry" test typically covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of these concepts in analytic geometry. Other topics may include optimization, related rates, and curve sketching.

2. How should I prepare for a "Calc w/ analytic geometry" test?

To prepare for a "Calc w/ analytic geometry" test, it is important to review the fundamental concepts and formulas, practice solving various types of problems, and work through past exams or practice tests. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or attend review sessions.

3. Are graphing calculators allowed on a "Calc w/ analytic geometry" test?

In most cases, graphing calculators are allowed on a "Calc w/ analytic geometry" test. However, it is important to check with your instructor or the testing guidelines to ensure that your calculator is permitted and does not have any prohibited features.

4. How can I improve my speed and accuracy on a "Calc w/ analytic geometry" test?

To improve your speed and accuracy on a "Calc w/ analytic geometry" test, it is important to practice solving problems within a time limit. You can also work on improving your algebraic skills, as many calculus problems involve simplifying and manipulating equations. Additionally, make sure to read each question carefully and double-check your work for any potential errors.

5. What resources are available for studying "Calc w/ analytic geometry"?

There are many resources available for studying "Calc w/ analytic geometry," such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and review sessions. Your instructor or school may also have additional resources or study materials. It may also be helpful to form a study group with classmates to review and discuss concepts together.