Calc Volume of Disk - Rotate Region Bounded by y=1+secx, y=3 About y=1

In summary, the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line is 2 pi units cubed. This is found by setting up the necessary equations, integrating, and taking into account the even function to get the correct answer.
mateomy
Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.

y= 1 + secx, y=3, about y=1

Set up:
1-1+secx= secx
1-3= -2

A(x)= [itex]\pi(secx)^2\,-\,\pi(-2)^2[/itex]
=[itex]\pi(sec^2 x - 4)[/itex]

[tex]
\pi\int_{\frac{-\pi}{3}}^{\frac{\pi}{3}}\,(4-\sec^2x)\,dx
[/tex]

All in all I come out with [itex]\pi(4\pi/3 - \sqrt{3})[/itex]

The answer at the end of the book is telling me 2pi rather than pi, I can't figure out why. Can anyone explain this to me? THanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mateomy said:
Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.

y= 1 + secx, y=3, about y=1

Set up:
1-1+secx= secx
1-3= -2

A(x)= [itex]\pi(secx)^2\,-\,\pi(-2)^2[/itex]
=[itex]\pi(sec^2 x - 4)[/itex]

[tex]
\pi\int_{\frac{-\pi}{3}}^{\frac{\pi}{3}}\,(4-\sec^2x)\,dx
[/tex]

All in all I come out with [itex]\pi(4\pi/3 - \sqrt{3})[/itex]

The answer at the end of the book is telling me 2pi rather than pi, I can't figure out why. Can anyone explain this to me? THanks.
I think you probably made a sign error somewhere. Since your integrand is an even function, you can integrate between 0 and pi/3 and double that result.
This gives the right value.
[tex]2\pi\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{3}} (4-sec^2(x))~dx[/tex]

AHHHH! I am usually super careful with keeping an eye out for the even/odd functions! THat makes it perfectly obvious, thanks a lot.

Related to Calc Volume of Disk - Rotate Region Bounded by y=1+secx, y=3 About y=1

1. How do you calculate the volume of a disk using the formula for a rotated region?

To calculate the volume of a disk formed by a rotated region, you can use the formula V = πR^2h, where R is the radius of the disk and h is the height. In this case, R can be found by taking the difference of the two curves, y=3 and y=1+secx, and h can be calculated by finding the area between the two curves using integration.

2. What is the significance of y=1+secx in this problem?

The equation y=1+secx represents the upper boundary of the rotated region. This means that the region will be bounded above by this curve and below by the x-axis.

3. Can you explain how the graph of y=1+secx affects the shape of the rotated region?

The graph of y=1+secx is a periodic function with a period of 2π. This means that the shape of the rotated region will repeat every 2π units along the x-axis. Additionally, the graph of y=1+secx has an asymptote at y=1, which will affect the shape of the rotated region near the y-axis.

4. Is it possible to calculate the volume of a rotated region without using integration?

No, integration is necessary to find the volume of a rotated region. This is because the volume of a disk is calculated by taking the integral of the area of the cross-sections of the disk. In this problem, the cross-sections are circular, so integration is required to find the area.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-world application of calculating the volume of a rotated region?

One possible application is in engineering, specifically in designing pipes or cylinders. Calculating the volume of a rotated region can help determine the amount of material needed to create these structures, as well as their capacity for holding fluids or gases.