Calc III - finding tangent plane

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with defining a surface function and finding the gradient and tangent plane. The person discussing the problem is unsure of their solution and disagrees with the results given by a website. They plan to email their professor for clarification.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the problem was easy, but my answer is wrong (aparently; I still disagree.)

First I defined x = (y^3)(z^3) to be a surface of function F

So
F(x,y,z) = (y^3)(z^3) - x = 0

Then, the gradient of F:

Partial wrt x = -1
Partial wrt y = 3y^2(z^3)
Partial wrt z = 3z^2(y^3)

Gradient F = -1i + 3y^2(z^3)j + 3z^2(y^3)k

Gradient F(1,-1,-1) = -1i + 3(-1)^2((-1)^3)j + 3(-1)^2((-1)^3)k
= -i - 3j - 3k

Then the tangent plane formula is

- x - 3y - 3z = 5

or

x + 3y + 3z = -5

Where am I going wrong with this?

Attachments

• calciii.png
    calciii.png
    6 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm 'inclined' to agree with you
Pic related - graphs of the surface and the tangent plane to surface at 1,-1,-1

I am pretty tired atm so we could both be falling into the same trap though..

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 489
That's the same result I get.

Darn you wiley plus!

I'm not about to start guessing through their wrong answers to see which one is "correct." Guess I'll email my professor.

Related to Calc III - finding tangent plane

1. What is the tangent plane?

The tangent plane is a mathematical concept that represents a plane that touches a surface at a specific point and has the same slope as the surface at that point. It can be thought of as the best approximation of the surface at that point.

2. How is the tangent plane calculated?

The tangent plane is calculated by using the gradient of a function, also known as the vector of partial derivatives. This vector is used to define a normal vector to the tangent plane, and the equation of the tangent plane can be written as z = f(a,b) + (x-a)fx(a,b) + (y-b)fy(a,b), where (a,b) is the point of tangency.

3. What is the significance of the tangent plane?

The tangent plane is important in many applications of multivariable calculus, such as optimization problems and surface approximation. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point and can be used to find the directional derivative of a function.

4. Can the tangent plane be used to find the equation of a tangent line?

Yes, the tangent plane can be used to find the equation of a tangent line. To find the equation of a tangent line, we can take a slice of the tangent plane at a specific point, which will result in a linear approximation of the function at that point. This linear approximation is the equation of the tangent line.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding tangent planes?

Finding tangent planes has many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a moving object, calculating the slope of a hill for construction purposes, and optimizing the shape of a surface for aerodynamics. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D objects and surfaces.