Calc-Based Statistics: Transformation of Two R.V.s, Change-of-Variables

In summary, it is recommended to use the change of variables formula to compute the joint pdf of U and V, which can be found by tracing out the boundaries of the transformation.
aleph_0
So I have thoughts about how to solve this problem, but more than anything I want a bit of a sanity check on what I've done so far, so that I don't spend the rest of tonight down a wrong path.

The problem:

Let the joint pdf of [itex]X,Y[/itex] be

[itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}y^{2}}, \quad x \geq 1, \quad y \geq 1[/itex]

Compute the joint pdf of [itex]U = XY, \quad V = X/Y[/itex].

My solution so far: [itex]uv = x^{2}, \quad u/v = y^{2}[/itex] and since [itex]x,y \geq 1[/itex] then [itex]x = \sqrt{uv}, \quad y = \sqrt{u/v}[/itex]. Then compute the Jacobian.

From this I trace out the boundaries of these two transformations by first setting [itex]x[/itex] to 1 and seeing how [itex]u[/itex] varies as [itex]y[/itex] ranges from 1 to infinity, etc.

Is this all sound and the smartest way to solve the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's a good approach to the problem. You can also use the change of variables formula to compute the joint pdf of U and V. The formula is f_{U,V}(u,v) = f_{X,Y}(x(u,v), y(u,v))|J|,where J is the Jacobian of the transformation (which you have already computed).

Related to Calc-Based Statistics: Transformation of Two R.V.s, Change-of-Variables

What is the purpose of transforming two random variables in statistics?

Transforming two random variables in statistics allows for a better understanding of the relationship between the variables and can help in making predictions and drawing conclusions about the data. It can also help in simplifying complex data sets and making them more manageable for analysis.

How do you determine the type of transformation needed for two random variables?

The type of transformation needed for two random variables depends on the distribution of the variables. If the variables have a non-linear relationship, a transformation such as logarithmic or exponential may be needed. If the variables have a linear relationship, a simple scaling transformation may be sufficient. It is important to analyze the data and choose a transformation that best fits the distribution of the variables.

What is the concept of change-of-variables in calc-based statistics?

Change-of-variables in calc-based statistics is the process of transforming one or more random variables into a new set of variables. This is often done to simplify the data and make it more suitable for statistical analysis. The new variables are often chosen based on their ability to represent the original data in a more meaningful way.

Are there any limitations to transforming two random variables in statistics?

While transforming two random variables can be beneficial in many cases, there are some limitations to consider. The transformation may not accurately represent the original data, and it may also introduce errors or biases in the analysis. Additionally, not all transformations are appropriate for all types of data, so it is important to carefully consider the data before deciding on a transformation.

How do you interpret the results of a transformation of two random variables?

Interpreting the results of a transformation of two random variables involves analyzing the new variables and their relationship to each other. This may include calculating new summary statistics, creating visualizations, and making comparisons to the original variables. It is important to carefully consider the context of the data and any limitations of the transformation when interpreting the results.