Calc 3, area of an ellipsoid slice

In summary, the conversation involves solving a problem involving an ellipsoid and a plane that is parallel to the x-y plane. The goal is to find the area of the elliptical cross-section that is cut by the plane. The solution involves substituting c for z in the equation and then rearranging it into the standard form for an ellipse. This allows for the calculation of a and b, which can then be used in the area formula for an ellipse.
Allenman
This isn't homework or anything, I just want to understand the question better.

Homework Statement

calcproblem.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly not sure where to go with this. Is this an integral problem? As I understand it I'm finding the area of a slice, not a volume of the whole ellipsoid.

so z = c which = 3...
the problem then becomes:
x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{y^{2}}{4}[/itex] = 0

Does the last description mean that the answer is A= ([itex]\pi[/itex])(1)(2) ?
It doesn't seem like it should be that simple. lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Allenman said:
This isn't homework or anything, I just want to understand the question better.

Homework Statement

calcproblem.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly not sure where to go with this. Is this an integral problem? As I understand it I'm finding the area of a slice, not a volume of the whole ellipsoid.

so z = c which = 3...
the problem then becomes:
x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{y^{2}}{4}[/itex] = 0

Does the last description mean that the answer is A= ([itex]\pi[/itex])(1)(2) ?
It doesn't seem like it should be that simple. lol
No, because x2 + y2/4 = 0 is not the equation of an ellipse.

Notice that there aren't many points that satisfy this equation.

Have you drawn a sketch of the ellipsoid? A sketch would help illuminate what's going on here.

No, it's not an integral problem.

The only real solution for [itex]\displaystyle x^2+\frac{y^2}{4}=0[/itex] is x = ? = y .

Set z = c , then solve for [itex]\displaystyle x^2+\frac{y^2}{4}\,,[/itex] then divide both sides by the right hand side.

calcprobgraph.jpg

But isn't 9 supposed to be c[itex]^{2}[/itex]?

so really I have:
x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{y^{2}}{4}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{c^{2}}{c^{2}}[/itex] = 1
which just leads me back to the previous equation where the only x and y values would be zero.
or am I just making a false assumption?

am I supposed to be doing this?
[itex]\frac{c^{2}}{9}[/itex] = 1 - x[itex]^{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{y^{2}}{4}[/itex]

c = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1 - x^{2} - \frac{y^{2}}{4}}{9}}[/itex]

I don't know where i would go from there.The equation my instructor gave us for a ellipsoid is:
[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}} + \frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}} + \frac{z^{2}}{c^{2}}[/itex] = d
That's where I got c=3

I'm not sure, but I don't think that c as used in this problem is related to the c in your ellipsoid equation. I believe they are using in the equation z = c to mean a plane that is parallel to the x-y plane, that's all.

I think you're right Mark. I feel kind of silly for making that assumption. lol.

The book says the answer is:

[itex]\frac{2\pi(9 - c^{2})}{9}[/itex]

I honestly don't see how it got that answer.

Thanks for all the help so far!

You're looking for the area of the elliptical cross-section that is cut by the plane z = c.

Follow the directions that SammyS gave back in post #3, substituting c for z in the equation to get

x2 + y2/4 = <something with c in it>

Now divide both sides by what you have on the right side to get this equation into the standard form for an ellipse. You will then be able to pick out a and b, which you can use in your area formula for an ellipse.

Related to Calc 3, area of an ellipsoid slice

What is Calc 3 and what does it cover?

Calc 3, short for Calculus 3, is an advanced mathematics course that focuses on multivariable calculus. It covers topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

What is an ellipsoid and how is it different from a sphere?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a squished sphere. It is defined by three distinct axes, whereas a sphere is defined by one radius.

What is the formula for finding the area of an ellipsoid slice?

The formula for finding the area of an ellipsoid slice is given by A = πab, where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the slice.

How do you derive the formula for the area of an ellipsoid slice?

The formula for the area of an ellipsoid slice can be derived using calculus techniques such as double integrals and polar coordinates. It involves breaking the ellipsoid into infinitesimal slices and summing their areas.

Can the formula for the area of an ellipsoid slice be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the formula for the area of an ellipsoid slice can be generalized to higher dimensions by considering more axes and using n-dimensional integrals instead of double integrals.