Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction Question

In summary, a writer is seeking advice on incorporating a six dimensional Calabi-Yau manifold into their fantasy story and is wondering if there are any restrictions on its size and potential to house universes. They also speculate about the manifold being a knot with worlds existing in the gaps between folds, but are unsure about the accuracy of this idea. They ask for clarification on the visual representation of the manifold and are told that it is just an artifact and not a meaningful aspect. It is also noted that the popular representation is only two-dimensional and not an accurate depiction.
Misericorde
Hi, this is my first post, so if it's in the wrong place please let me know. I'm writing a bit of fiction, more fantasy than science fiction, but I don't want to immediately offend the sensibilities of everybody who knows something about science. I really like the idea of a six dimensional Calabi-Yau manifold,and I was wondering if there's any restriction on the relative size of such a structure.

I don't understand the math of them but I have seen visual representations of them, and it looks as though their spaces between the folds, I'm not sure that's the right word. Could you had a situation in which you had a Calabi-Yau manifold made of space-time and obviously two other dimensions was able to house universes within the folds? I realize this is well outside of the range of physics as it exists today, but again I just want to remind you that this is supposed to be a work of pure fiction.

I kind of like the idea the Calabi-Yau manifold as a knot and worlds or universes existing in the gaps that exist, however small relatively speaking, that you'd find in any kind of knot or structure.

I have a few other writing questions but I'm not sure is the place to ask them, and I guessed that would be a good idea to ask one specific question first.this doesn't need to be hugely accurate, I just need to know this is a completely lunatic idea, inasmuch as maybe there are no spaces within the Calabi-Yau manifold, and it's just an artifact of the visualization.

Space news on Phys.org
Misericorde said:
I don't understand the math of them but I have seen visual representations of them, and it looks as though their spaces between the folds, I'm not sure that's the right word.
No, I don't think those spaces between the folds mean anything. That's just an artifact of a particular method of representing the manifold visually.

bcrowell said:
No, I don't think those spaces between the folds mean anything. That's just an artifact of a particular method of representing the manifold visually.

Also remember that Calabi-Yau manifold is 6-dimensional and so the popular picture you see is just only a "2-dimensional representation" of it.

OK, I thought that might be the case, thanks for the fast answers!

Dear writer,

Thank you for your question about the Calabi-Yau manifold and its potential use in fiction. I cannot comment on the accuracy of your idea as it pertains to current scientific understanding. However, I can provide some information about the Calabi-Yau manifold and its potential limitations.

The Calabi-Yau manifold is a complex mathematical concept used in string theory to describe the extra dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions we are familiar with. It is a six-dimensional space with special properties that allow it to compactify the extra dimensions, making them invisible to us at our scale. It is important to note that the Calabi-Yau manifold is a mathematical construct and has not been proven to exist in reality.

As for your question about the relative size of the Calabi-Yau manifold, there is no restriction as it is a mathematical concept. However, it is important to consider that the size of the extra dimensions is thought to be incredibly small, on the scale of the Planck length (10^-35 meters). So, while it is possible to imagine universes existing within the folds of a Calabi-Yau manifold, the size of these universes would be incredibly tiny.

Additionally, the idea of a Calabi-Yau manifold as a knot or structure housing multiple universes is purely speculative and not based on current scientific understanding. It is important to distinguish between science and fiction in this regard.

In summary, while the concept of a Calabi-Yau manifold may be intriguing and inspiring for fiction, it is important to keep in mind that it is a mathematical construct and not a proven reality. I hope this helps with your writing and I encourage you to continue exploring and expanding your ideas. Best of luck with your writing.

Related to Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction Question

1. What is Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction?

Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction, also known as Calabi-Yau manifold or Calabi-Yau space, is a theoretical concept in mathematics and physics that describes a specific type of shape in multiple dimensions. In fiction writing, it is used to create complex and multi-layered narratives.

2. Why is Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction important?

Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction allows writers to explore and represent complex ideas, themes, and characters in a way that traditional linear storytelling cannot. It also provides a unique and creative approach to storytelling that challenges readers to think and engage with the narrative on a deeper level.

3. How is Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction different from other writing styles?

Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction differs from traditional linear storytelling in that it often involves multiple perspectives, non-linear timelines, and unconventional narrative structures. It also incorporates elements of science, philosophy, and mathematics into the storytelling.

4. What are the benefits of using Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction?

The use of Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction can enhance the depth and complexity of a story, making it more thought-provoking and engaging for readers. It also allows writers to explore complex themes and ideas in a unique and creative way, challenging both the writer and the reader's perceptions and understanding.

5. Can anyone use Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction in their writing?

Yes, anyone can use Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction in their writing as long as they have a basic understanding of the concept and are willing to experiment with unconventional storytelling techniques. It may require some practice and experimentation, but anyone can incorporate elements of Calabi-Yau Writing Fiction into their writing style.