Cabinet with doors lifted by a gas spring

• Thread starter sliwinskit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Spring
In summary, the conversation is about calculating gas springs for doors that are lifted up, rather than hinged. The speaker is asking for help in finding helpful software for gas spring calculations and shares a draft of the mechanism for better understanding. Another person suggests using a four bar linkage and provides resources for calculating the required force for equilibrium.
sliwinskit
Hello everybody.

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate gas springs for specific doors not with hinge, but lifted up, like on the picture.
Do anybody experience with such type of mechanism?

Also I'm looking for helpful software, for gas spring calculation (different types). I found screens from JGC software, but I don't know how to download or buy it.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 162
Engineering news on Phys.org
The photo you show does not make the mechanism clear. Try posting a sketch that shows how the doors are supported at about the half open position.

Likes Keith_McClary
OK, here is draft of mechanism. Cabinet closed, during opening and fully open.
bus.jpg

The linkage is just a four bar linkage, with the gas cylinder added to provide motive power. The analysis of the four bar linkage is given in many textbooks on Theory of Machines. With that sort of analysis in hand, you can calculate the force required for equilibrium at any position; that is the force that you would ideally want the gas spring to provide. That should get you started.

Related to Cabinet with doors lifted by a gas spring

1. What is a gas spring and how does it work?

A gas spring, also known as a gas strut or gas lift, is a type of mechanical spring that uses compressed gas contained within a cylinder to exert force and lift a load. It works by using the pressure of the compressed gas to push a piston, which in turn creates a force that can lift and support the weight of the load.

2. What are the benefits of using a gas spring in a cabinet with doors?

Gas springs offer several benefits for cabinets with doors, including smooth and controlled opening and closing, reduced strain on hinges and joints, and the ability to hold the door in an open position without the need for additional support. They also provide a sleek and modern look, as they are hidden inside the cabinet and do not require visible hardware.

3. How do I determine the right gas spring for my cabinet?

The right gas spring for your cabinet depends on several factors, including the weight and size of the door, the desired opening and closing force, and the angle at which the door will be opened. You can consult with a gas spring supplier or use online calculators to determine the appropriate size and force for your specific cabinet.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when installing a gas spring in a cabinet?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when installing a gas spring in a cabinet. Make sure to carefully read and follow the manufacturer's instructions, wear protective gear, and handle the gas spring with caution to avoid injury. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the gas spring to ensure safe and proper functioning.

5. Can a gas spring be used for other types of furniture besides cabinets?

Yes, gas springs can be used for a variety of furniture, including chairs, desks, and beds. They are commonly used in any furniture that requires controlled and smooth movement, such as recliners, height-adjustable tables, and storage compartments. Gas springs are also used in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and medical, for their lifting and supporting capabilities.