C++ for Beginners: Improving Programming Skills

• C/C++
  • Thread starter lonely_nucleus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary: What sorts of applications "turn you on".There are many different types of applications that can be programmed in C++. It all depends on what you are interested in.
lonely_nucleus
I finished a course in C++ about a month ago and I would say I am almost average in programming in it. I am decent at command prompt programs but I do not have too much experience with gui programs.I have gotten to for loops and objects/methods and I did not understand ifstream.ofstream too well. I do not want to forget all I learned but I do not know what to do to make my skills better. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Technology news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Think of projects for yourself. Games are great to make. Here are some ideas
http://www.cppforschool.com/projects.html
Gee wiz you give very concise and straightforward answers. I will try to do some of the projects on that site.

Are there any other uses for c++ besides games? I am very interested in the science applications of c++.

Can you get good at c++ by downloading other people's simple c++ source code and experimenting with it? is learning c++ learning by examples easy?

lonely_nucleus said:
Are there any other uses for c++ besides games?
Of course, C++ is a multipurpose language used everywhere. You can build anything with it.

lonely_nucleus said:
Can you get good at c++ by downloading other people's simple c++ source code and experimenting with it?
It can be a fun and interesting way to learn about alternative techniques

lonely_nucleus said:
is learning c++ learning by examples easy?
Depends on your skill level. If you download some C++ that is extremely advanced, but you are a beginner, it won't help you much.

Look inward.

Generally, anything you want to program can be designed and implemented in an OO way. So the question is, what do you want to program?

What sorts of applications "turn you on". What kind of problems are fun to solve.
You said you enjoy science apps. What science applications do you think are missing? What platform do you want to write for?

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to C++ for Beginners: Improving Programming Skills

1. What is C++ and why is it important for beginners to learn?

C++ is a high-level programming language that is widely used in the software development industry. It is important for beginners to learn because it is a versatile language that can be used to create a wide range of applications, from simple programs to complex software. Additionally, learning C++ can help beginners improve their overall programming skills and prepare them for more advanced languages.

2. What are the key concepts that beginners should focus on when learning C++?

Some key concepts that beginners should focus on when learning C++ include data types, variables, control structures, functions, and object-oriented programming. It is important to have a good understanding of these concepts in order to write efficient and organized C++ code.

3. What are some resources that can help beginners improve their C++ skills?

There are many online resources available to help beginners improve their C++ skills, such as tutorials, online courses, coding challenges, and forums. It can also be helpful to read books or attend workshops on C++ programming. Practice is also key, so beginners should try to write code regularly and seek feedback from more experienced programmers.

4. How can beginners avoid common mistakes when learning C++?

One common mistake that beginners make when learning C++ is not understanding the syntax and structure of the language. To avoid this, it is important to spend time studying and practicing the basics before moving on to more complex concepts. Additionally, beginners should make sure to adhere to coding conventions and use proper indentation to make their code more readable and easier to debug.

5. What are some real-world applications of C++ for beginners to explore?

C++ is used in a variety of industries and applications, such as operating systems, video games, databases, and web browsers. Some popular software written in C++ include Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, and Google Chrome. Beginners can explore these applications and their source code to gain a better understanding of how C++ is used in the real world.