Bypass time of satelite arround Mars

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the bypass time for a satellite orbiting Mars at a height of 150km. The formula used is t=(2∏*(...))/sqrt(...), with a correction to the units of g0. After correcting the formula, the calculated bypass time matches the expected value of 110 minutes.
antoman

Homework Statement

On high 150km above the surface of Mars, there is satelite That is ciculating arround Mars. What's his bypass time? Radius of Mars is 3400km.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found equation like this :

t= (2*r(R+h)^(3/2))/(sqrt(g0*R^2))
R=r+h
r=3400km
h=150km

But when i try to calculate like this, i totally miss the actual time. I know bypass time(solution) is 110 minutes.

Physics news on Phys.org
What value of g0 are you using? What units for r and R are required?

welcome to pf!

hi antoman! welcome to pf! :smile:
antoman said:
On high 150km above the surface of Mars, there is satelite That is ciculating arround Mars. What's his bypass time? Radius of Mars is 3400km.

let's put that into english :wink:
At a height of 150km above the surface of Mars, there is a satellite that is orbiting Mars. What's its period? The radius of Mars is 3400km.​

hmm … don't you need to know either the mass of Mars, or the gravitational acceleration (g) at the surface? :redface:

SteamKing said:
What value of g0 are you using? What units for r and R are required?

g0=9,81m/s^2

hmm … don't you need to know either the mass of Mars, or the gravitational acceleration (g) at the surface?

i could calculate g at surface using g=g0*R^(2)/(R+h)^2, but then again i have no idea what to use it for
.. nevermind g0 is different on Mars then on Earth so..

Ok i made some changes, so now

t= (2*r(R+h)^(3/2))/(sqrt(g0*R^2))
r=R+h
R=3400km
h=150km
g0=3,7 m/s^2... assuming i should of know g0 from mars.

I calculated and it came out t=7261412,315 km/s...:confused:

You've got R and h in km and g0 in m/s^2. Don't you think you have a problem with your units?

SteamKing said:
You've got R and h in km and g0 in m/s^2. Don't you think you have a problem with your units?

I used 3.6*10^-3 km/s^2 for g0 when i calculated, so its (km*km^(3/2))/sqrt(km*s^(-2)*km^2). Then km^(3/2)/km^(3/2)=1, so all it stays is km*s.
Repair me if I am wrong :)

I'm repairing you.
Do you have the right formula?
What if R and r have to be in meters instead of km?

SteamKing said:
I'm repairing you.
Do you have the right formula?
What if R and r have to be in meters instead of km?

No, i don't think the formula is right, that's why i asked for help.

Now i know what was the problem :D

Correct formula is:
t=(2*(...))/sqrt(...)
+ g0 to km/s^2, and it all works out perfect, iven makes more sense :)

Related to Bypass time of satelite arround Mars

1. How long does it take for a satellite to orbit Mars?

The bypass time of a satellite around Mars can vary depending on its orbit and altitude. On average, it takes about 24 hours for a satellite to complete one orbit around Mars.

2. What factors affect the bypass time of a satellite around Mars?

The bypass time of a satellite around Mars is affected by its distance from the planet, its speed, and the gravitational pull of Mars. Other factors such as the presence of other bodies in the vicinity can also affect the bypass time.

3. Can the bypass time of a satellite around Mars be changed?

Yes, the bypass time of a satellite around Mars can be changed by adjusting its orbit or altitude. This can be done by using propulsion systems on the satellite or through gravitational assists from other celestial bodies.

4. How does the bypass time of a satellite around Mars impact its mission?

The bypass time of a satellite around Mars can have a significant impact on its mission. A longer bypass time means the satellite will have more time to gather data and images of the planet. However, a shorter bypass time can allow for more frequent passes over specific areas of interest.

5. How is the bypass time of a satellite around Mars calculated?

The bypass time of a satellite around Mars is calculated using Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion, which relates the orbital period of a satellite to its distance from the planet. Other factors, such as the mass and gravitational pull of Mars, are also taken into consideration in the calculation.