Buy New or Used Car: Which is Best for You?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary: As for the "used cars are a nightmare" people... it's always seemed to me that they're talking about buying some beater that's three owners removed from the new purchase.In summary, the conversation revolves around the decision of buying a new or used car. The person has received a lot of advice and read articles about the benefits of buying a used car, but is considering buying a new 2012 LX Civic with less than 2000 miles for $18,600. They question if the newer model with less miles is worth the extra $1000 compared to a used 2009 LX Civic with 23,000 miles for $17,
what a waste of my time! went into the dealer and found out that great price I was quoted didn't include the $750 destination fee. seriously.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
what a waste of my time! went into the dealer and found out that great price I was quoted didn't include the $750 destination fee. seriously.
Yeah, when you negotiate price, make sure it includes shipping, title fee, registration fee, although the last two are fixed so you can usually figure those out yourself.

My price included shipping, yikes... stay away from places like that. I am lucky I have an honest dealer close by. I feel your frustration, is their a "rate your honda dealer" website ? If there is I would check with them.

Rhody...

That really bites, Greg. Typical sleazy sales technique. When my father and I went to the Subaru dealership to pick out and buy a Forester, I had to stay out in the cold, because the staff smelled like a perfume store. No matter. As he was passed along from the salesperson to the sales manager, and general manager, he did exactly as I asked and brought each one of them out to the arctic blast of the front lot to show me their current "deal", and each time I chiseled them down and told them to come back with a real price. They knew that my father was going to buy the vehicle as a clean sale, so they were reluctant to let us walk and he got the price that I had told him we'd aim for.

A few weeks later, my wife went with him to visit our little niece and she drove his Forester. When she got home, she said "I don't want you driving that ratty pickup anymore." "Buy a Forester for yourself." I called the general manager and told him that if he wanted to sell another Forester for the same price, I'd be right down, and he told me that they would lose money at that price. I called their nearest competitor and talked to a nice saleslady and asked her to call me back with her best price on a Forester with sport-shift auto tranny. She asked what the other dealership had quoted, and I told her that telling her that would be stupid on my part. She called back about 15 minutes later and quoted exactly the same price my father paid for his. I told her to throw in a set of Subaru's removable roof-racks and she'd have a deal. She didn't even pause before agreeing. I called my father, we drove over in his Forester, and she had two Foresters out for me to look at. I picked one, and we did the deal in the parking lot. She had even taken a shower on her lunch break so she wouldn't be too perfumey.

Subaru had made some nice changes in the Forester, so I didn't want to buy used. I'm still amazed that the Japanese can make a pretty loaded SUV with all-wheel drive, traction control, skid prevention, and a pretty complex automatic transmission, ship it over here, and sell it for less than $20K off the lot. Sure was a lot easier to get to that price the second time!

Greg,

Did you find an honest dealer willing to give straight answers and a fair price ? The peanut gallery anxiously awaits your reply... hehe...

Rhody...

Do you not feel like you are getting violated every day depreciation hammers you?

xxChrisxx said:
Do you not feel like you are getting violated every day depreciation hammers you?

Chris,

Have you bought a new car ? One in the 25,000 range ? The minute you drive it off the lot you lose 2K or more. The upside, you have a car with zero or near zero miles and a full warranty, and can be sure no one has abused it before you had it.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Chris,

Have you bought a new car ? One in the 25,000 range ? The minute you drive it off the lot you lose 2K or more. The upside, you have a car with zero or near zero miles and a full warranty, and can be sure no one has abused it before you had it.

Rhody...

I've never spent a considerable amount of money on a car, all my cars have been 10 years old or more. Finding and maintaining an quality old bargin runner is part of the fun for me. They've all been sold on for the same or more than I bought it for.

It's costs to maintain them, but considerably less than is lost on a new motor. The thought of buying something then it losing money whilst it's just sat there on the drive puts me off buying a new car.

The only exception I'd make is the Scirocco R, which is a spankingly awesome car. But I've just changed job and moved house and am saving for a wedding, so I'm poor!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've heard the all the advice and read all the articles on why to never buy a new car. However from the option I am looking at, buying new doesn't sound that bad!

Consider my current scenario:

Used CPO 2009 LX Civic with 23,000 miles = $17,600
New 2012 LX Civic < 2000 miles = $18,600Isn't the newer model with less miles worth the extra $1000?
No contest. Buy new ... less initial wear, better reliability, and you've got a warranty = less headaches and expenditures in the long run, imo. You're buying the car to drive, not to sell. Right? Sometimes leasing is a good option. Check it out.

ThomasT said:
No contest. Buy new ... less initial wear, better reliability, and you've got a warranty = less headaches and expenditures in the long run, imo. You're buying the car to drive, not to sell. Right? Sometimes leasing is a good option. Check it out.

Thanks! I ended up buying the 2012 Civic EX-L yesterday for $20,800. Couldn't pass up that good price!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks! I ended up buying the 2012 Civic EX-L yesterday for $20,800. Couldn't pass up that good price!

Great!

My brother-in-law ordered a 2012 Civic, and it arrived yesterday. He is pleased with the car, and with the dealership from which he bought the car.

We ordered a 2012 Civic LX, but we are having terrible experiences with the our Honda dealership, and we are thinking about canceling our order.

Greg Bernhardt said:

I just called a Honda Sales Manager friend of mine, he quoted me invoice price on your model of $20,982 and said anything $150 to $200 under invoice was a good price. I concur based on expert opinion. You got a good deal, congratulations, hope you like the car. BTW. My daughter has a 2010 Civic DX, make sure you rotate the tires every 5 or 6 thousand, she is looking to needing new fronts because she didn't rotate them enough. Don't make that same mistake.

Rhody... :approve: