Bush's Spiritual Advisor Backs Obama

• News
  • Thread starter flowerthrower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advisor
In summary, Bush's spiritual adviser, Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell, has announced his support for Barack Obama's presidential bid based on Obama's character, confidence, and courage. This decision has been communicated to President Bush, who has accepted it. Some speculate that this may be a strategy to associate Obama with Bush and his associates, while others see it as a nullification of candidates' responsibilities to their spiritual advisers. This is not the first time Caldwell has shown a different viewpoint from the Republican party, as he previously blamed the church, not Osama bin Laden, for the 9/11 attacks. It is also worth noting the trend of past Republican nominees, including George W. Bush and John McCain, in relation to Caldwell's support for Obama
flowerthrower
I thought this was interesting because of the long Jeremiah Wright thread:

Bush's spiritual adviser backing Obama

Published: Jan. 20, 2008 at 4:25 PM

HOUSTON, Jan. 20 (UPI) -- U.S. President George Bush's spiritual adviser, the Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell, has decided to support the presidential bid of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.

The leader of Houston's Windsor Village United Methodist Church said Obama's "character, confidence and courage" inspired him to support his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, the Houston Chronicle reported Sunday.

"I have been in contact with the Obama campaign team," Caldwell said. "I will be making visits on his behalf."

The pastor did clarify that his support of the Illinois politician was based entirely on his personal beliefs and did not represent support from his United Methodist church.

Caldwell's spiritual relationship with the Republican president has included performing the benediction at both of Bush's inaugurations.

Caldwell told the Chronicle he had informed Bush of his decision to back Obama and that the president accepted his decision.

(i'd include the link to the original UPI article, but it won't let me until I've made more posts.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Cue Russ coming in here saying "So what? Huh?? So?"

Poop-Loops said:

:smile:

I wonder if this might be a means of hurting Obama by associating him with Bush and his associates. Some republicans have been working hard to keep Obama out because they are fairly sure McCain can beat out Hillary.

Poop-Loops said:

haha. well, you know, i think it's profound personally...kind of nullifying the responsibilities of the candidates to their spiritual advisers.

He has a very different take on 9-11... http://www.houstonpress.com/2001-09-27/news/bush-spiritual-adviser-blame-the-church-not-bin-laden"

When Pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell rose to give the keynote speech at a community memorial service for terrorist attack victims, listeners no doubt expected a mixture of prayer and solace similar to what a handful of ministers already had delivered during the two-hour session.

Instead, Caldwell, the Windsor Village United Methodist Church preacher and frequent spiritual adviser for President George W. Bush, promised the crowd of 4,000 last week that he would "rock your boat." He proceeded to do it with a sermon partly built around his wife Suzette's observation that angry Americans should blame not Osama bin Laden but rather the church.

"Now whyyyyy is that?" Caldwell shouted. "Because the church has failed to walk and operate in the power and authority that has been given only to the body of Christ."

Congressman and House whip Tom DeLay smiled and applauded behind him onstage as Caldwell continued.

Tom DeLay, GW and now Obama. Notice a trend?

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
Notice a trend?
In your posts, yes!

Recent Republican Nominees: George W. Bush (first term), George W. Bush (second term), John McCain (notice a trend?)

Gokul43201 said:
In your posts, yes!

:smile:

Related to Bush's Spiritual Advisor Backs Obama

1. What is the significance of a spiritual advisor backing a political candidate?

The endorsement of a political candidate by a spiritual advisor can hold weight for those who value religious beliefs when making political decisions. It can also potentially sway the opinions of individuals who trust and respect the spiritual advisor.

2. What is the reaction to a conservative figure like Bush's spiritual advisor endorsing a Democratic candidate like Obama?

The reaction to this endorsement may vary among different individuals and political groups. Some may view it as a surprise or a betrayal, while others may see it as a positive move towards unity and bridging the political divide.

3. How does this endorsement affect the presidential race?

It is difficult to determine the exact impact of this endorsement on the presidential race. It may potentially influence some voters, but ultimately, the decisions of voters are based on a variety of factors.

4. Has Bush's spiritual advisor endorsed any other political candidates in the past?

It is not uncommon for spiritual advisors to endorse political candidates. In the past, Bush's spiritual advisor has endorsed other Republican candidates, including John McCain and Mitt Romney.

5. What does this endorsement reveal about the current political climate?

This endorsement may speak to the increasing polarization in politics and the growing importance of religious beliefs in shaping political ideologies. It also highlights the potential for unexpected alliances and shifts in political support.