Buoyancy calculating unknown density

In summary, the density of the wood is 396.92 kg/m^3. To find the density of the alcohol, consider the pressure exerted by the block on an ant underneath it and compare it to the pressure exerted by the alcohol on an ant not under the block. This can be represented by the heights of alcohol and wood pressing down on the ant. Using this approach, the density of the alcohol can be found to be equal to the density of the block.
masterburn

Homework Statement

A cube of wood, of mass 0.50 kg and side length 10.80 cm, is floating in a beaker containing alcohol, as shown.
a) What is the density of the wood?
b) Ifthe wood is exactly half submerged, find the density ofthe alcohol

Homework Equations

not sure how to go about to solve density of alcohol

The Attempt at a Solution

A) p=m/v = 0.5/ (0.1080^3) = 396.92 kg/m^3

B) density of alcohol = height of box/ height of water * known p
= 0.05/ height * 369.92

not sure how to do B at all ? am i even close

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the diagram. When encountering occasional exercises of this type, I prefer to go back to basics and derive the equations in situ.

Imagine there is an ant (kitted out in scuba gear) walking around the bottom of the beaker. He doesn't feel any extra pressure on his body when he is in the shadow of the floating block compared to when he is out from under it. At any given depth, the pressure is the same everywhere at that level. (If it wasn't, then some fluid would rearrange itself until the pressure was equalised.)

So when the ant is under the floating block, pressing down on his body is a height of alcohol + 10.8cm of wood. When he is not directly under the block, pressing down on him is a certain height of alcohol. Formalize this into volumes, densities and pressures.

Can you continue from there?

(Acting above both of these is atmospheric pressure, but because it acts uniformly over both the block and the alcohol, it need not enter into the computations for density here.)

no i cannot continue from there not sure how ? since half the block is submerged and, the volume displaced is the amount from the submerged block therefore density unknown = h of block/ h of liquid * density known but since the h is equal wouldn't it cancel out and the density of the liquid = density of block ?

Notice that I didn't mention anything about volume displaced because I was not using that approach.

I'm not sure what way to approach ? it was the only way I was taught ? the only thing i know following your logic is density avg > density fluid since it only half sunk, so the free diagram is mg going down and fb going up then it would be Fb>mg, how so i have buoyancy force of FB but i think it wrong since it doesn't take into account of the block being half sunk

Related to Buoyancy calculating unknown density

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the force that causes objects to float in a fluid, such as water or air. It is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid.

2. How do you calculate buoyancy?

Buoyancy can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged in the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula can be used to find the buoyant force acting on an object, which can then be used to determine if the object will float or sink.

3. What is the relationship between buoyancy and density?

Buoyancy and density are directly related. The more dense an object is, the more it will sink in a fluid, and the less dense an object is, the more it will float. This is because the upward force of buoyancy is dependent on the density of the fluid and the volume of the object submerged.

4. How can buoyancy be used to calculate unknown density?

To calculate unknown density using buoyancy, you will need to know the volume and weight of the object, as well as the buoyant force acting on the object. Once you have this information, you can rearrange the formula Fb = ρVg to solve for ρ, which will give you the density of the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating unknown density using buoyancy?

Calculating unknown density using buoyancy has many real-life applications, including determining the purity of gold or other precious metals, finding the density of unknown substances in chemistry experiments, and determining the density of different body tissues in medical imaging. It is also used in ship design to ensure proper buoyancy and stability, and in the production of hot air balloons and blimps.