Buoyancy and reverse-submersion technique(s)

• Thread starter LValfre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, it is possible to inject a buoyant object into a body of water from under the water line using a pump-jet, compressed gas system, or vacuum system, as long as the object is sealed.
LValfre
Hello guys,

I've been toying with some ideas in my head about a project I'm working on. I want to make sure I'm doing this right. FYI, I'm not a physicist but a business major with a knack for science/math.

Is it possible to 'inject' a buoyant object into a body of water from under the water line?

For example, a pool with a drain in the center. If the drain could be opened and closed, would there be a way to keep it closed and then open it to float something through it?

The only idea I've had is to have some kind of bottom loading bay. You can seal off the body of water above from the sublevel 'loading dock', effectively creating 2 systems of water. When the bouyant object is in place in the bottom system, release the seal so all the water falls down into one system. It should float to the top right? What if the object completely filled the bottom bay volume wise. You could still drop the water and make it a system so the object could float, right?

Thanks for any comments ahead of time, i really appreciate them!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to inject a buoyant object into a body of water from under the water line. Generally, it is done by using a device called a 'pump-jet', which is able to pump out water at high pressure, pushing the buoyant object forward. Alternatively, you can also use a compressed gas system or a vacuum system to achieve a similar effect. In all cases, the object must be sealed in order for it to float up once it is injected.

Related to Buoyancy and reverse-submersion technique(s)

What is buoyancy and how does it work?

Buoyancy is the upward force that water exerts on an object. It works by displacing the water around the object, creating an upward force that is equal to the weight of the water that is displaced.

How is buoyancy related to the reverse-submersion technique?

The reverse-submersion technique involves filling your lungs with air and using that air to increase your buoyancy. This makes it easier to float and stay at the surface of the water.

What are the benefits of using the reverse-submersion technique?

The reverse-submersion technique can help conserve energy and reduce the risk of injury when swimming or diving. It also allows for better control and balance in the water.

Are there any risks associated with the reverse-submersion technique?

The main risk of the reverse-submersion technique is hyperventilation, which can lead to shallow water blackout. It is important to practice proper breathing techniques and not hold your breath for long periods of time.

How can I improve my reverse-submersion technique?

To improve your reverse-submersion technique, you can practice regularly and focus on proper breathing and body positioning. It may also be helpful to work with a swimming or diving instructor to receive feedback and tips for improvement.