Buoyancy and Archimedes Principle, volume ratio/density question

In summary, the geode's weight in air is equal to the volume of the geode multiplied by the density of the solid part of the geode multiplied by (1 - the fraction of air). The weight of the water displaced is equal to the volume of the geode multiplied by the density of water. Using Archimedes' principle, the ratio of the geode's weight in air to its weight in water is equal to 2, which can be solved for the fraction of air in the geode.
phoebz
A geode is a hollow rock with a solid shell and an air-filled interior. Suppose a particular geode weighs twice as much in air as it does when completely submerged in water. If the density of the solid part of the geode is 3100 km/m^3 , what fraction of the geode's volume is hollow?

The density of air is 1.20kg/m^3 and density of water is 1000, and I have been trying to use the equation Fb (force of buoyancy) = W (weight of the object)

(I use the symbol ρ for density)
I have:
Fb=w
ρ_water(volume)g=ρ_geode(volume)g2

and Vair/Vgeode as my unknown... I'm confused on what densities to use.. and if I'm even on the right track.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Neglect the weight and density of the air. Let V be the volume of the geode, and let [itex]\varphi[/itex] be the fraction that is solid. In terms of V, [itex]\varphi[/itex], and ρs, how much does the geode weight in air. If the geode is fully submerged under water, what is the weight of the water displaced in terms of the volume V and density of water ρw? In terms of these parameters, what is the weight of the geode under water?

Okay, for the weight in the air I have: W =Vρsφg

The volume of the water displaced would be the volume of the geode...which we aren't given :s.

But I know the geodes weight under water needs to be multiplied by two to equal the weight of the geode in the air so:

Vρsφg = 2(Vρwg)

solve for φ?

I get φ= 0.645, so then minus that from 1 and I get 0.355... is that about right?

Last edited:
I tried putting in my answer for Vair/Vsolid as 0.55 and it was wrong, so I guess I've messed up somewhere

Last edited:
phoebz said:
I tried putting in my answer for Vair/Vsolid as 0.55 and it was wrong, so I guess I've messed up somewhere
But according to your previous post you calculated it as .355. Which answer did you give?

If the volume of the geode is V, the density of the rock is ρs, and the volume fraction of air is [itex]\phi[/itex], then the

weight of the geode in air = [itex]V\rho_s(1-\phi)g[/itex]

If the geode is fully submerged, the the

weight of water displaced = [itex]V\rho_wg[/itex]

From Archimedes principle

weight of geode in water = [itex]V\rho_s(1-\phi)g[/itex]-[itex]V\rho_wg[/itex]

The ratio of the geode weight in air to the geode weight in water is:

[tex]\frac{V\rho_s(1-\phi)g}{V\rho_s(1-\phi)g-V\rho_wg}=\frac{\rho_s(1-\phi)}{\rho_s(1-\phi)-\rho_w}[/tex]

This ratio is equal to 2. So, solve for [itex]\phi[/itex].

Related to Buoyancy and Archimedes Principle, volume ratio/density question

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, and is governed by Archimedes' Principle.

2. How does Archimedes' Principle relate to buoyancy?

Archimedes' Principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This means that the more fluid an object displaces (i.e. the larger its volume), the greater the buoyant force will be.

3. What is the relationship between volume ratio and buoyancy?

The volume ratio is a measure of how much of an object is submerged in a fluid. It is directly related to buoyancy, as the more of an object that is submerged, the greater the buoyant force will be. This is because a larger volume of fluid is being displaced.

4. How does density affect buoyancy?

Density plays a major role in determining an object's buoyancy. Objects with a lower density than the fluid they are immersed in will float, while objects with a higher density will sink. This is because the buoyant force is greater than the weight of the object in the first case, and less than the weight of the object in the second case.

5. Can the buoyancy of an object be changed?

Yes, the buoyancy of an object can be changed by altering its volume or density. By changing the shape or size of an object, its volume ratio will change, thus affecting its buoyancy. Additionally, changing the material an object is made of can also alter its density and therefore its buoyancy.