Buoyancy: 3 solid things have a different position in the water

In summary, the egg floats when the water's density is equal to the egg's, but sinks when the water's density is greater than the egg's.
Yoseph Santoso

Homework Statement

There is three things P, Q, R. The density of P is 2000 kg/m3, Q is 1000 kg/m3, R is 2500 kg/m3. If all of them are put into the water having density 1000 kg/m3, the correct position of the things are shown by following picture ...
http://[ATTACH=full]200216[/ATTACH]

[h2]Homework Equations[/h2]
When ρ [SUB]thing[/SUB] < ρ [SUB]water[/SUB] : the thing is floating
When ρ [SUB]thing[/SUB] = ρ [SUB]water[/SUB] : the thing is float halfway
When ρ [SUB]thing[/SUB] > ρ [SUB]water[/SUB] : the thing is sinking

Attachments

• blob.jpg
    blob.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 370
  • PLAIN]%20[Broken].jpg
    PLAIN]%20[Broken].jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Yoseph,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

1. One of your images is "broken" (the one in the problem statement section). Can you try to load it again?
2. Your problem statement doesn't include a question. What are you trying to find out?
3. Your post lacks the "attempt at a solution" section. Note that you must show us what you've tried before help can be given.

There are three things P, Q, R. The density of P is 2000 kg/m3, Q is 1000 kg/m3, R is 2500 kg/m3. If all of them are put into the water having density 1000 kg/m3, which one is the correct position of the things? Picture A or Picture B (see attachment)?

Attachments

• blob.jpg
    blob.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 379
Yoseph Santoso said:
which one is the correct position of the things? Picture A or Picture B
What is your choice? Can you apply your relevant equations to definitely rule out one of the choices?

Thanks for your reply. This is my homework that I don't know what's the right answer, so I want your helping to solve this problem.

Yoseph Santoso said:
Thanks for your reply. This is my homework that I don't know what's the right answer, so I want your helping to solve this problem.
We can help you find a solution, but you'll need to put in some effort.

Look at image A:
upload_2017-4-26_13-57-16.png

Check each of the objects P, Q, R against your relevant equation criteria. What do you find?

Sorry this is my attempt at a solution :
At first I chose picture B because things P and R are solid, so they will go to the bottom of the container. Whereas, my teacher choose picture A.

Yoseph Santoso said:
Sorry this is my attempt at a solution :
At first I chose picture B because things P and R are solid, so they will go to the bottom of the container. Whereas, my teacher choose picture A.
You mean that P and R are both more dense than the fluid, so they should both sink to the bottom. That is true, and I agree with your choice of B as being correct.

gneill said:
We can help you find a solution, but you'll need to put in some effort.

Look at image A:
View attachment 197164
Check each of the objects P, Q, R against your relevant equation criteria. What do you find?

I think P position is impossible, it must be in the float halfway or sink. On the other hand, my teacher say that the correct answer is A. It's to make sure that the density of R is greater than P so that R position is lower than P position. According to you, does my teacher's reason make sense?

Yoseph Santoso said:
I think P position is impossible, it must be in the float halfway or sink. On the other hand, my teacher say that the correct answer is A. It's to make sure that the density of R is greater than P so that R position is lower than P position. According to you, does my teacher's reason make sense?
No. If an object's density is greater than that of the fluid it will sink to the bottom. Both P and R have densities that are greater than that of the fluid, so they must sink to the bottom.

The only time an object can "hover" in the fluid without moving up or down is when it has neutral buoyancy. That means its density is equal to that of the fluid. That only holds for one of the objects.

Likes Yoseph Santoso
gneill said:
No. If an object's density is greater than that of the fluid it will sink to the bottom. Both P and R have densities that are greater than that of the fluid, so they must sink to the bottom.
The only time an object can "hover" in the fluid without moving up or down is when it has neutral buoyancy. That means its density is equal to that of the fluid. That only holds for one of the objects.

Okay thanks gneill, now I confident with my answer and learn more from you.

Let me ask one more question :smile: . I ever made an experiment about neutral buoyancy with water, egg, and salt. I wanted to put egg hover in the water by adjusting the density of the water. When the egg sank, I added salt liquid little by little and when the egg floated, I added water little by little until it hover in the middle. But after few minutes, that egg couldn't stable in the middle anymore, it would end with sink or float position. Could I make the egg hover at least for several minutes?

Yoseph Santoso said:
Okay thanks gneill, now I confident with my answer and learn more from you.

Let me ask one more question :smile: . I ever made an experiment about neutral buoyancy with water, egg, and salt. I wanted to put egg hover in the water by adjusting the density of the water. When the egg sank, I added salt liquid little by little and when the egg floated, I added water little by little until it hover in the middle. But after few minutes, that egg couldn't stable in the middle anymore, it would end with sink or float position. Could I make the egg hover at least for several minutes?
I think it would be difficult to achieve exactly neutral buoyancy conditions (net force exactly zero), and hard to maintain over time. It's a bit like trying to balance a pencil vertically on its point.

There are physical processes going on at the same time that can move your carefully balanced system out of balance. For example, if the egg and water and container and room air are not precisely the same uniform temperature, as they exchange heat the water and egg will expand or contract a tiny bit and by different amounts, altering the displaced volume and changing the buoyancy.

Likes Yoseph Santoso
Okay, I see my great teacher. Thanks for your clear explanation. :woot:

Related to Buoyancy: 3 solid things have a different position in the water

1. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy?

The density of an object plays a crucial role in determining its buoyancy. Objects with a higher density than the surrounding water will sink, while objects with a lower density will float. This is because the denser object will displace more water and therefore experience a greater upward force, known as buoyancy, than the less dense object.

2. Can a solid object float in water if it is denser than water?

Yes, a solid object can float in water even if it is denser than water. This is because the shape of the object and its volume also play a role in determining its buoyancy. For example, a ship made of steel can float in water because its shape allows it to displace a large amount of water, creating enough buoyant force to keep it afloat.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object is an important factor in determining its buoyancy. Objects with a larger volume and a shape that allows them to displace more water will experience a greater buoyant force, making them more likely to float. For example, a flat piece of wood will float easier than a solid cube of the same material, as the flat piece has a larger surface area to displace more water.

4. What is the relationship between an object's weight and its buoyancy?

The weight of an object does not directly affect its buoyancy. Rather, it is the difference between the weight of an object and the weight of the displaced water that determines its buoyancy. If an object weighs less than the water it displaces, it will float, and if it weighs more, it will sink.

5. Why do some objects sink while others float in water?

The buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the water that is displaced by the object. If the weight of the object is greater than the weight of the water it displaces, it will sink. If the weight of the object is less than the weight of the water it displaces, it will float. Therefore, the buoyancy of an object depends on its weight, volume, and density compared to the water it is in.