Bungee Jumping: Min Spring Constant to Support Jorge (75kg)

In summary, Jorge is planning to bungee jump from a 55.0m high bridge with a bungee cord that has an unstretched length of 27.0m. In order to safely stop his fall, the bungee cord must be able to stop him when he is at least 2.00m above the river below. Given that Jorge has a mass of 75.0kg, the minimum spring constant of the bungee cord is either 115 Newtons/meter or 28.3 Newtons/meter, depending on the method used to calculate it. However, the first method, using the equation for potential energy, is the correct approach. The second method, using the equation for
renegade05

Homework Statement

Jorge is going to bungee jumpy from a bridge that is 55.0m over the river below. The bungee cord has an unstretched length of 27.0m. To be safe, the bungee cord should stop Jorge's fall when he is at least 2.00 m above the river. If Jorge has a mass of 75.0kg what is the minimum spring constant of the bungee cord?

Homework Equations

I used ki + Ui + Wf + WF = Ki + Ui

Us = 1/2kx^2

and F = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is this:

I got the potential inital energy by mgh = 75x9.8x53 ( 53 because jorge is stopping 2 m for the bottom).

Then the Potential spring engery by Us = 1/2k(26)^2 (26 because that is how far the cord is stretching 55-2-27)

I made them equal to each other and solved for K (115 Newtons/meter)

But i also tried it a different way using F = -kx since at the bottom the netforces are zero then -mg = -kx = 75 x 9.8 / 26 = (28.3 Newtons /meter)

So i got two completely different answers. Which one is right (if any) and where did i screw up so i didnt get the same answer?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bump...

The PE solution looks right to me. The second solution isn't. At the bottom v=0. The acceleration isn't zero. It's not true the forces balance just because an object is momentarily stationary.

Related to Bungee Jumping: Min Spring Constant to Support Jorge (75kg)

What is the minimum spring constant needed to support a 75kg person during a bungee jump?

The minimum spring constant needed for a bungee jump depends on a variety of factors, including the height of the jump, the type of cord used, and the elasticity of the cord. It is important to consult with a professional bungee jumping company to determine the exact minimum spring constant needed for a safe and successful jump.

How does the weight of the person affect the spring constant needed for a bungee jump?

The weight of the person does play a role in determining the minimum spring constant needed for a bungee jump. A heavier person will require a stronger and more elastic cord to support their weight and ensure a safe jump. It is important for the bungee jumping company to take into account the weight of the person when determining the appropriate spring constant.

What happens if the spring constant is too low for a bungee jump?

If the spring constant is too low for a bungee jump, the cord will not be able to support the weight of the person and they may hit the ground or water too hard. This can result in serious injuries or even death. It is crucial to carefully calculate and test the spring constant before any bungee jump to ensure it is sufficient for the weight of the person.

Is there a maximum weight limit for bungee jumping?

Yes, there is typically a maximum weight limit for bungee jumping. This is to ensure the safety of the person and prevent any accidents or injuries. The weight limit varies depending on the bungee jumping company and the equipment they use, but it is usually around 250-300 pounds.

What other safety measures should be taken into consideration for bungee jumping?

In addition to calculating the appropriate spring constant, there are other safety measures that should be taken into consideration for bungee jumping. This includes inspecting and maintaining the equipment regularly, ensuring the location and weather conditions are suitable for a safe jump, and following proper jumping techniques and protocols. It is also important for the person to disclose any medical conditions or concerns before participating in a bungee jump.