Building an Electric Gripper - 2ms Speed, 1cm Displacement

• Thread starter Bern123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the individual needs help creating an electric gripper with a speed of 2ms. They have considered using a solenoid but have not been able to find one with enough force or one that is not too heavy. The gripper does not need to be strong, but it must be affordable. They are looking for suggestions for a better gripper or where to find suitable parts. They have also considered using a strong spring or a high precision electric stepper motor, but the cost is a concern as multiple arms with two grippers each will be needed.
Bern123
Hi all, i need to create an electric gripper, the speed of the greep need to be about 2ms. So i tought to use a solenoid that can be real fast, but i found only hydraulic solenoid(and i can't find force that they can generate in datasheets) or big and heavy solenoids(too much for my project). The greep don't need to be real strong but i really need to contain the price. The displacement of the gripper need to be at least 1cm per part(so the solenoid need to do a minimum 1cm movement). Any ideas? about a better gripper or where to find parts(the name of parts)?

I will really appreciate any help!

I tought something like this: (sorry for bad drawings)

20accb6.jpg

or

rif4nm.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Moving something 1cm in 2 milliseconds is pretty fast! One option would be to use a strong spring to do the fast closure, and use a solenoid or screw mechanism to open it back up again to "cock it" for the next closure.

Thank you!

Yes, sorry, i wrong to type. It's 20ms.

Have you tried looking into high precision electric stepper motors?

I tought about it, but I'll need Stepper motor + Electronics that will cost a lot, consider that I need to make 4 or 5 of this arms and each arm have 2 gripper, the price will be soo high.

Related to Building an Electric Gripper - 2ms Speed, 1cm Displacement

1. What is an electric gripper?

An electric gripper is a type of robotic end-effector that uses an electric motor to open and close its jaws or fingers. It is commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings to grasp and move objects with precision and speed.

2. How does an electric gripper work?

An electric gripper works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. When an electrical current is applied to the motor, it rotates a gear train that moves the gripper's jaws or fingers. This allows the gripper to open and close with a high degree of control and speed.

3. What is the speed of a 2ms electric gripper?

The speed of a 2ms electric gripper refers to the time it takes for the gripper to open or close its jaws or fingers. In this case, it would take 2 milliseconds for the gripper to complete a full cycle of opening and closing.

4. What is the displacement of a 1cm electric gripper?

The displacement of a 1cm electric gripper refers to the maximum distance that the gripper's jaws or fingers can move. In this case, the gripper can move up to 1 centimeter, providing a precise and controlled grip on objects.

5. What are the advantages of using an electric gripper?

There are several advantages of using an electric gripper, including its precise control and high speed, which can increase productivity and efficiency in industrial settings. It also eliminates the need for manual labor in gripping and moving objects, reducing the risk of human error and injury. Additionally, electric grippers can be easily integrated into automated systems, making them a versatile and valuable tool in various industries.