Building a system of equations

In summary, the problem is about Peter needing to buy 100 screws of different sizes for a total of $100. The first equation written is 5L + M + (1/20)S = 100, but there is still a missing equation to solve the system. The variables L, M, and S represent the amount of large, medium, and small screws to purchase. The solution requires all three variables to be integers, which limits the possible solutions.
Suprin

Homework Statement

It's a verbal problem. It goes like this:

"Peter needs to buy some screws: large, medium, and small. He goes to the hardware store and orders 100 screws for a total of $100. For each large screw he was charged $5.00, $1.00 for each medium one, and $0.05 for each small one.

The point is to express this in a system of linear equations and then figure out how much of each one did Peter order. I can figure out the last part if I can figure out the first part.

Homework Equations

I can use L for the amount of large screws, M for the amount of medium screws, S for the amount of small screws or just XYZ it (for clarity's sake, I wrote both on my papers but I'll stick to LMS here).

The first equation I wrote down goes like this:

$5.00 L + $1.00 M + $0.05 S = $100
or
5L + M + 1/20 S = 100

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation above is my attempt, although upon further reasoning I think it might be wrong. I was thinking maybe it could be something like:

$5.00 L + $1.00 M + $0.05 S = K, where K can stand for any amount of money spent depending on the total purchase.

In the end, I really need some guidance to figure this out. Hopefully someone can give me a hint or a clue as to what it is that I'm not seeing and if my original equation is correct so far. :p

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suprin said:

Homework Statement

It's a verbal problem. It goes like this:

"Peter needs to buy some screws: large, medium, and small. He goes to the hardware store and orders 100 screws for a total of $100. For each large screw he was charged $5.00, $1.00 for each medium one, and $0.05 for each small one.

The point is to express this in a system of linear equations and then figure out how much of each one did Peter order. I can figure out the last part if I can figure out the first part.

Homework Equations

I can use L for the large screws, M for the mediums, S for small or just XYZ it (for clarity's sake, I wrote both on my papers but I'll stick to LMS here).

The first equation I wrote down goes like this:

$5.00 L + $1.00 M + $0.05 S = $100
or
5L + M + 1/20 S = 100

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation above is my attempt, although upon further reasoning I think it might be wrong. I was thinking maybe it could be something like:

$5.00 L + $1.00 M + $0.05 S = K, where K can stand for any amount of money spent depending on the total purchase.

In the end, I really need some guidance to figure this out. Hopefully someone can give me a hint or a clue as to what it is that I'm not seeing and if my original equation is correct so far. :p

Besides the equation 5L + M + (1/20)S = 100 (spend $100) you also need to buy a total of 100 screws.

You will have 2 equations in 3 unknowns, so you can, say, solve for L and M in terms of S. Then try integer values of S until you hit integer values of both L and M.

That's the part I'm seriously stuck at; the whole "buys 100 screws" ordeal. I'm pretty sure I know how the solution for the system will come out; more than likely a free variable since there will be a good number of possible solutions.

Suprin said:
That's the part I'm seriously stuck at; the whole "buys 100 screws" ordeal. I'm pretty sure I know how the solution for the system will come out; more than likely a free variable since there will be a good number of possible solutions.

What do you mean by the symbols L, M and S?

Large, Medium, and Small. The respective amount of each size of screw.

Suprin said:
Large, Medium, and Small. The respective amount of each size of screw.

Yes, I know they referred to large, medium and small, but to what aspects? You have now clarified this: L = number of large to purchase, etc. Always do this from the start; that is: step 1 should always be to define your variables (including units, if applicable). This will help you keep thing straight and will certainly help the poor sap that has to mark the papers; it might even boost your marks.

I did in the very first post. Or are you referring that I should've added the words "number of" or "amount of" as well?

Suprin said:
since there will be a good number of possible solutions.
For the system. I don't believe this problem allows (logically) more than one solution.

Suprin said:
I did in the very first post. Or are you referring that I should've added the words "number of" or "amount of" as well?

No, if you read what you wrote you did not explicitly say they were the quantities, although, I assumed that is what you meant. You then seemed to get bogged down, and so I was not sure after all whether you really meant what you said.

Anyway, if you solve for two of the variables in terms of the third, you will, of course, have infinitely many possible solutions---one for each setting of the third variable. However, you need more: all three of your variables must be whole numbers (integers ≥ 0) and that cuts down the possibilities tremendously.

To mafagafo:
That's what a friend just helped me realize on the phone. Still, I *have* to express this as a system of equations. It's the very first instruction on the paper. Solving it should be simple enough.To Ray:
It's all even more detailed on the papers. I'm bogged down because I can't figure out how to write the missing equation(s) for the system. That's where I'm stuck. That's where I need a hand.

Suprin said:
To mafagafo:
That's what a friend just helped me realize on the phone. Still, I *have* to express this as a system of equations. It's the very first instruction on the paper. Solving it should be simple enough.

To Ray:
It's all even more detailed on the papers. I'm bogged down because I can't figure out how to write the missing equation(s) for the system. That's where I'm stuck. That's where I need a hand.

Sorry: no more hints.

Suprin said:
To mafagafo:
That's what a friend just helped me realize on the phone. Still, I *have* to express this as a system of equations. It's the very first instruction on the paper. Solving it should be simple enough.

To Ray:
There is no missing equation. Your two equations represent the system that you are to solve. Use the hint that Ray has given you, that any solution has to have integer values for the three variables.

Mark44 said:
There is no missing equation. Your two equations represent the system that you are to solve. Use the hint that Ray has given you, that any solution has to have integer values for the three variables.

I don't have 2 equations. I only wrote one.

I saw that you had two equations, but didn't realize that one of them was just the simplified form of the first.

How many screws are ordered?

Likes 1 person
Suprin said:
I don't have 2 equations. I only wrote one.

Then you should write the other one. What equation corresponds to the statement that the number of screws equals 100?

Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
I saw that you had two equations, but didn't realize that one of them was just the simplified form of the first.

How many screws are ordered?

100 screws total for a total of $100. My best guess is that the second equation would be:

L + M + S = 100 screws

My guess is that the Small screws purchased are a multiple of 20. Problem is that the professor does want us to show the procedure. I wasn't able to get a hold of her via e-mail or phone to see if she'd accept us literally writing "we guessed and were able to prove it mathematically" as an answer. So, assuming I'm right, these are the 2 equations I have:

$5 L + $1 M + $0.05 S = 100
L + M + S = 100 screws

Where L is the amount of Large screws, M is Medium screws, S for Small screws.

I tried giving S a value that would turn the 0.05 into a whole number (began with 20). Then solved for L in the (L + M + S = 100) equation and just kept solving back and forth, but no idea if that's even the right procedure.

I know that if the problem had another sentence giving a bit more of info (ie: the amount of Large screws are double the amount of Medium screws) then it'd be easier to solve, but that's all there is to the problem.

Suprin said:
100 screws total for a total of $100. My best guess is that the second equation would be:

L + M + S = 100 screws

My guess is that the Small screws purchased are a multiple of 20. Problem is that the professor does want us to show the procedure. I wasn't able to get a hold of her via e-mail or phone to see if she'd accept us literally writing "we guessed and were able to prove it mathematically" as an answer. So, assuming I'm right, these are the 2 equations I have:

L + M + S = 100 screws

Where L is the amount of Large screws, M is Medium screws, S for Small screws.

I tried giving S a value that would turn the 0.05 into a whole number (began with 20). Then solved for L in the (L + M + S = 100) equation and just kept solving back and forth, but no idea if that's even the right procedure.

I know that if the problem had another sentence giving a bit more of info (ie: the amount of Large screws are double the amount of Medium screws) then it'd be easier to solve, but that's all there is to the problem.

You don't need to guess: that is the other equation. It is obvious that it must hold, since it was given right away as part of the problem statement---you buy 100 screws. In fact, that is exactly why I asked you specifically what you meant by L, M and S, because then the answer would be staring you in the face, or so I thought.

I would suggest that you use the two equations to solve (symbolically) for L and M as functions of S, using exact rational arithmetic (no decimals). The answer ought to be very revealing.

Ray Vickson said:
You don't need to guess: that is the other equation. It is obvious that it must hold, since it was given right away as part of the problem statement---you buy 100 screws. In fact, that is exactly why I asked you specifically what you meant by L, M and S, because then the answer would be staring you in the face, or so I thought.

I would suggest that you use the two equations to solve (symbolically) for L and M as functions of S, using exact rational arithmetic (no decimals). The answer ought to be very revealing.

Sorry. It wasn't obvious to me since I didn't know it was fine to have one equation ending in dollars and the other in another unit (in this case screws). I had in fact written it on a piece of paper (somewhere), but the previously stated reasoning was what stalled me.

What Dick and Mark said was what finally confirmed what I suspected.

For your two equations:
Suprin said:
L + M + S = 100 screws
you aren't consistent with the units in the first equation; e.g. $5L and the other terms on the left side, and a bare 100 on the right side. It's better to omit the units entirely, but if you feel you need to be more explanatory, you can add something in parentheses to indicate what the units are, like so:
5L + 1M + .05S = 100 (in dollars)

Related to Building a system of equations

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that have a common set of variables. These equations are used to represent real-life situations and can be solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables.

2. Why is it important to build a system of equations?

Building a system of equations allows us to model and solve complex real-world problems, such as finding the solution to a system of linear equations in order to optimize a production process or determine the intersection point of two lines on a graph.

3. What are the different methods for solving a system of equations?

The most commonly used methods for solving a system of equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variables. Other methods include using matrices and determinants or using technology such as a graphing calculator.

4. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. One solution occurs when the equations intersect at a single point, infinite solutions occur when the equations are equivalent and overlap, and no solutions occur when the equations are parallel and do not intersect.

5. How can a system of equations be used in real life?

A system of equations can be used to solve a variety of real-life problems, such as determining the optimal mix of ingredients for a recipe, calculating the cost of items in a store, or finding the best route to take on a road trip. It can also be used in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics to model and solve complex systems.