Building a Straw & Tape Contraption to Save Eggs

• Thread starter DaveDanClay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, a group is attempting to build a contraption to prevent an egg from breaking when dropped from a third story. They have already lost 7 eggs in previous attempts and are seeking design input. Two common tactics for reducing the impact are slowing the fall and slowing the impact. Suggestions include using a drag effect like a parachute and designing a structure with straws that delay the time of impact.
DaveDanClay
We are building a contraption out of 50 drinking straws (non bendable) and one meter of tape that will stop one large egg from breaking on impact. It will be dropped from a third story.

We would sincerely appreciate some design input, as we have already lost 7 eggs to my front walkway.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not the fall, but the sudden stop at the end.

There are two common tactics for reducing the sudden-ness of the stop:

Slowing the fall (parachute) and slowing the impact (cushioning). You're probably best off with a combination of the approaches.

how about cheating and boiling the egg...:wink:

use a drag affect(parachute) so that you KNOW which specific side it will land on, then design something that delays the time of impact, ie straws that are shaped like a teepee, enclosing the egg at the top, and letting the bottom on impact flower out as it lands...

Related to Building a Straw & Tape Contraption to Save Eggs

1. How does the straw and tape contraption work to save eggs?

The straw and tape contraption works by creating a protective structure around the egg, absorbing the force of any impact and preventing the egg from cracking.

2. What materials do I need to build a straw and tape contraption to save eggs?

You will need straws, tape, scissors, and an egg. Optionally, you can also use other materials such as cotton balls, bubble wrap, or foam to provide additional cushioning.

3. What is the best way to construct the straw and tape contraption?

The best way to construct the contraption is to first create a square or rectangular base with the straws, and then build up the sides by layering straws and securing them with tape. Make sure to leave enough space in the center for the egg to fit snugly.

4. How can I test if my straw and tape contraption is effective?

You can test the contraption by dropping it from different heights onto a hard surface. If the egg remains intact, then the contraption is effective. You can also try adding more layers or materials for extra protection.

5. Can I reuse the straw and tape contraption?

Yes, you can reuse the straw and tape contraption as long as it remains intact and the straws are not damaged. However, it is recommended to make a new contraption for each drop to ensure maximum effectiveness.