Building a Stair Climbing Robot on a Budget

In summary: OK, we're still listening. What are your ideas?Well, I was thinking about maybe using a RC car to power the robot. That way, it could be controlled from a distance. Alternatively, I could look into using batteries to power the robot. Either way, I need to find a way to power the robot cheaply.
LT72884

Homework Statement

Build a stair climbing robot. There are no required dimensions.

Homework Equations

MONEY

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help brainstorming on some designs of a stair climbing robot that is cheap but yet effective. I have connections with law enforcement so maybe i can get parts from there "door knockers" such as the motors or frame and build something around that.

I saw some youtube videos of this but it must be my teams design or a mix of designs.

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, we're listening. What are your ideas?

Well, since it is going to need to be cheap. a box frame with some sort of track system. doesn't need to climb perfectly. Maybe really high RPM's and a good track system for the wheels. Kinda like how if you do not have a ATV with 4x4, you relly on high RPM's and speed to climb the hill.

Oh and it has to be independent as in no wires to the remote. So wireless or just a switch and it does whatever it wants to do..

LT72884 said:
Well, since it is going to need to be cheap. a box frame with some sort of track system. doesn't need to climb perfectly. Maybe really high RPM's and a good track system for the wheels. Kinda like how if you do not have a ATV with 4x4, you relly on high RPM's and speed to climb the hill.

Oh and it has to be independent as in no wires to the remote. So wireless or just a switch and it does whatever it wants to do..

So you're goniog to power up the stairs on tracks? Are these standard steps? 7" rise, 9" run? How big will your robot have to be?

DaveC426913 said:
So you're goniog to power up the stairs on tracks? Are these standard steps? 7" rise, 9" run? How big will your robot have to be?

No size limitations. Yup normal stairs.

Professor said it could be as big as a german tank so that i can run over other professors he doesn't like.. LOL..

I have never ever ever had to build anything like this. This is my first semester as a ME student and I am still in algebra 1

thanx

Related to Building a Stair Climbing Robot on a Budget

1. What materials do I need to build a stair climbing robot on a budget?

To build a stair climbing robot on a budget, you will need a microcontroller, motor controllers, motors, sensors, wheels, and a chassis. You may also need additional materials such as screws, wires, and batteries.

2. How much does it cost to build a stair climbing robot on a budget?

The cost of building a stair climbing robot on a budget can vary depending on the specific materials and components you choose. However, you can expect to spend anywhere from $50 to $200.

3. Do I need any programming experience to build a stair climbing robot on a budget?

Yes, you will need some programming experience to build a stair climbing robot on a budget. You will need to program the microcontroller to control the motors and sensors and make the robot climb stairs.

4. Can I use recycled materials to build a stair climbing robot on a budget?

Yes, you can use recycled materials to build a stair climbing robot on a budget. For example, you can use old toys for motors and sensors, and repurpose old containers for the chassis.

5. Are there any tutorials or guides available for building a stair climbing robot on a budget?

Yes, there are many tutorials and guides available online for building a stair climbing robot on a budget. You can also find step-by-step instructions and videos on YouTube and other DIY websites.