Is it physically possible to climb up a building like this?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a person climbing up a building by jumping against two opposing walls. While some believe it is possible due to the stickiness of certain shoe materials, others argue that it would require more force and speed. The idea of calculating the necessary force and speed is brought up, but it is acknowledged that it is just an approximation. In the end, it is suggested that a high coefficient of static friction would be needed for this feat to be possible.
CamSpell

In this 19 sec. video, a guy climbs up a building by jumping against two opposing walls. I don't see how that could be possible. Some shoe-soles materials stick very well on smooth-shiny surfaces, true!, and the guy's mass has a side-to-side motion and less time to fall down... But I still can't believe it's possible.

I haven't done the calculations, I don't know how to do that, and we don't even know what the actual friction force is. But judging by how it looks I would say more force / speed should be required to defy gravity. It's just an uneducated approximation.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is possible.
some people can do some amazing things.
This is one of them I believe.

CamSpell said:
It should require more force, and more speed.
Have you calculated it?

CamSpell said:
What do you think?

When you see what others can do:

A.T. said:
Have you calculated it?
Nope!, I wouldn't know how to calculate it. If I knew how to do that I wouldn't have asked. It's just an opinion of mine, an approximation judging by how it looks. I'll rephrase that in the original message.

While you are doing this, the wall should provide an average upwards friction force of mg. This needs an average normal force of
[tex] \frac {m g } { \mu} [/tex]
The average horizontal acceleration is [tex] \frac { 2 v } { T } = \frac { g } { \mu} [/tex]
(the average of the absolute value of course, and you accelerate from -v to +v and back.)
This gives a required speed of:
[tex] \frac {g T} {2 \mu } [/tex]
I get T = 0.9 from the video (8 jumps in 7 seconds). The static friction coefficient is probably at least one, but might be as high as 2 (found rubber on glass)
with μ=1 you get v = 4.4 m/s. That's the maximum speed. It's hard to get the speed from the video, since all body parts will move at different speeds, and the jumper is in contact with one of the walls and accelerating most of the time.
Since the walls are only about 2m apart, and the the time taken is 0.9 s for each jump, v = 4.4 m/s seems too high for the maximum speed, so I think a μ significantly bigger than one is needed. With μ=2 the maximum speed only has to be 2.2 m/s, which seems very possible.

Related to Is it physically possible to climb up a building like this?

1. Can a human actually climb up a building without any equipment?

Yes, it is physically possible for a human to climb up a building without any equipment. However, it requires a high level of strength, agility, and training.

2. What are the limitations of climbing a building like this?

There are several limitations to consider when attempting to climb a building without equipment. These include the height and steepness of the building, the type of surface (such as glass or smooth concrete), and weather conditions.

3. Is it safe to climb a building like this?

Climbing a building without equipment can be dangerous and should not be attempted without proper training and safety precautions. It is important to assess the risks and have a plan in case of emergencies.

4. What techniques are used for climbing a building?

Climbing a building without equipment requires the use of specific techniques such as free soloing, parkour, or free climbing. These techniques involve using one's own body to navigate and climb the building.

5. Are there any legal implications for climbing a building like this?

Climbing a building without permission is considered trespassing and can result in legal consequences. It is important to obtain proper permission and follow any regulations or restrictions before attempting to climb a building.