Building a hydrostatic pressure chamber

In summary, the conversation is about building a small hydrostatic pressure chamber to test the behavior of tissue under physiological pressures. The chamber needs to be transparent and capable of withstanding pressures between 5-15 MPa. The person seeking advice is uncertain about the design and asks for help and suggestions on materials. The others advise using heavy gauge acrylic or plexiglass and warn about the potential dangers of high pressures. They also mention the importance of considering the complete design to ensure structural stability. A link to a helpful resource on pressure vessel design is provided.
AnnaC
Hello!

I am currently looking into building a small hydrostatic pressure chamber to test the behaviour of a piece of tissue (cartilage) under physiological pressures. The pressure range should be between 5-15 MPa.

I need to measure the volume change/deformation of the tissue, so the chamber would need to be transparent. Ideally I would like to be able to videofilm the process, from a side view. I have an Instron compression machine that I can use to move a piston. However, I am bit uncertain about the design. What transparent material can withstand such high pressures?

Any help or direction to sources of information would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Heavy gauge Acrylic/Plexiglass sheet or tubing/piping would likely fulfill your requirements depending on your design.

Bear in mind that 15 MPa (about 150 atmospheres) is getting into the same pressure range as a scuba diving air tank.

If you still want to design your own pressure chamber (given your level of "uncertainty" about how to do that), make sure you aren't standing anywhere near it the first time you test it!

Thanks! Yes, I am a bit hesitant over the high pressure and what materials can actually withstand it. And as you so correctly point out I need to do a whole lot more research before the plans will come alive (and I might just end up aborting the mission completely). But figured I might just as well post here see if anyone had any brilliant ideas before I go talk to the work-shop and see what they say.

Thanks for both of yours help though.

Last edited:
AnnaC said:
Yes, I am a bit hesitant over the high pressure and what materials can actually withstand it.

The high pressure" in itself is not much of an issue. Almost any material would withstand a stress of 15MPa in direct tension or compression.

The issue is that at some places in the complete structure you will probably have stresses which are much higher than 15MPa, and the stresses will depend very much on the complete design. For example a "rectangular box", with flat panels for easy observation of what is inside, would be much more highly stressed than a cylinder or a sphere. (That's why diving air bottles are not rectangular boxes!)

AlephZero said:
The issue is that at some places in the complete structure you will probably have stresses which are much higher than 15MPa, and the stresses will depend very much on the complete design. ... (That's why diving air bottles are not rectangular boxes!)
And where the valve screws in is much thicker. This might be helpful for the OPs design:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:gQRUGIAkX_AJ:faculty.washington.edu/vkumar/me356/pv_rules.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESh62sRPl53jTbfGItKY3_1ZaTCVBSG015NmYix-tuBacLRg1M1ykUn1qAU0kIHkSq0alnxCWfWK3GPSwOibfaUyCi1e9Syk9mGpu5kfX2Rv5ynfGPAgbWkupgODdPsCsxyggp7X&sig=AHIEtbQFwsGhUffnTx1Cf5dtgCFoWKil7g

Related to Building a hydrostatic pressure chamber

1. What is a hydrostatic pressure chamber?

A hydrostatic pressure chamber is a device used in scientific research to simulate high pressure environments. It consists of a sealed container filled with a liquid, typically water, and is used to study the effects of pressure on different materials or organisms.

2. How does a hydrostatic pressure chamber work?

A hydrostatic pressure chamber works by using a high-pressure pump to compress the liquid inside the chamber. This creates a uniform pressure throughout the chamber, allowing for accurate testing of materials or organisms at specific pressure levels.

3. What are the benefits of using a hydrostatic pressure chamber?

There are several benefits to using a hydrostatic pressure chamber. It allows for the study of how materials or organisms respond to high pressure environments, which can have important implications in fields such as biology, geology, and material science. It also provides a controlled and repeatable environment for testing, ensuring accurate and reliable results.

4. What types of experiments can be conducted in a hydrostatic pressure chamber?

A hydrostatic pressure chamber can be used for a variety of experiments, including studying the effects of high pressure on biological organisms, testing the strength and durability of materials, and investigating the properties of fluids under pressure. It can also be used for simulating deep-sea environments or exploring the potential for life on other planets with high atmospheric pressure.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a hydrostatic pressure chamber?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a hydrostatic pressure chamber. It is important to follow all manufacturer instructions and wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses. The high-pressure pump should be operated by trained personnel and the chamber should be regularly inspected for any signs of wear or damage. It is also important to properly release pressure before opening the chamber to avoid sudden decompression.