DIY Vacuum Sealer: Building for Maximum Efficiency on a Budget

In summary: I understand there are risks, but I have access to welding supplies or I can purchase a pre-built acrylic box if I need to, but I suck at math, I have no way to calculate how much pressure will be applied to the walls while under vacuum, nor what type of material can withstand said pressure. I can't speak to the math, but the materials that have been used in vacuum chambers in the past have been able to withstand up to 14.7 psi. I think the biggest issue with making your own chamber is that you don't know what kind of pressure it will be under, and you also don't know what kind of material you're using. Vacuum chambers can be
Doodman
Hey all,

I'm a bit of a food geek and a DIY nut and I'm looking to build my own vacuum sealer for as cheap as possible. My question to you guys, is what is the cheapest material I can use that will still withstand the pressure as well as maintain the airtight seal needed? I am looking to get a 99.5% vacuum in the chamber itself, and I would like it to be square so I can fit my sealing device in there. Thanks for all your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Doodman said:
Hey all,

I'm a bit of a food geek and a DIY nut and I'm looking to build my own vacuum sealer for as cheap as possible. My question to you guys, is what is the cheapest material I can use that will still withstand the pressure as well as maintain the airtight seal needed? I am looking to get a 99.5% vacuum in the chamber itself, and I would like it to be square so I can fit my sealing device in there. Thanks for all your help!
Welcome to the PF.

AFAIK, you don't need a vacuum chamber to make a vacuum sealer. Just use a pump to pump the air out of the sealing bag...

http://www.pickyourown.org/productpics/foodsaverV2460.jpg
foodsaverV2460.jpg

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

AFAIK, you don't need a vacuum chamber to make a vacuum sealer. Just use a pump to pump the air out of the sealing bag...

http://www.pickyourown.org/productpics/foodsaverV2460.jpg
foodsaverV2460.jpg
Sorry, should have been a bit more specific in the original post. That works for basic 'vaccing' but doesn't allow you to put liquids in the bags, nor is it strong enough to do things like compressed fruit.

It's a bit of overkill, but I like projects

Last edited:
Doodman said:
That works for basic 'vaccing' but doesn't allow you to put liquids in the bags, nor is it strong enough to do things like compressed fruit.

It's a bit of overkill, but I like projects
The problem with DIY vacuum chambers is that they can be pretty dangerous. I've worked with setups like the one below, and they are relatively safe. I'd recommend just buying a vacuum pump and Bell jar to keep your setup safe.

http://physics.sierracollege.edu/DemoRoom/Pictures/Demonstrations/4e20_40.jpg
4e20_40.jpg

Unfortunately, there is no way to seal a bag in a rig like that. I understand there are risks, but I have access to welding supplies or I can purchase a pre-built acrylic box if I need to, but I suck at math, I have no way to calculate how much pressure will be applied to the walls while under vacuum, nor what type of material can withstand said pressure. I also want a reason to play around with a raspberry pi, and arduino with sensors to control things

Doodman said:
I have no way to calculate how much pressure will be applied to the walls while under vacuum,

Well you know it's going to be somewhere between zero and about 14.7 psi.

Likes JBA
Because of their inherent resistance to buckling under external pressure using a spherical shell made up of two mating hemispheres made of a non-shattering material such as polycarbonate is also an option (assuming you want to be able to view what is happening inside the vessel) but the shell thickness still has to be selected based upon the pressure differential.

The product in a bag (is held between two soft foam blocks) in a vacuum chamber with the sealing device around the top of the bag. The chamber is evacuated. The bag seal is welded, then the air pressure restored to the chamber.

I see no reason why you must have a rectangular vacuum chamber.

Maybe you should explain better how your vacuum sealing process will work.

Related to DIY Vacuum Sealer: Building for Maximum Efficiency on a Budget

What materials do I need to build a DIY vacuum sealer?

To build a DIY vacuum sealer, you will need a vacuum pump, a heat sealer, plastic bags or rolls, a pressure regulator, and a few basic tools like a ruler, scissors, and a marker. You may also need a power source and some additional materials for the specific design you choose to follow.

Can I use any type of plastic bag or roll with my DIY vacuum sealer?

No, not all types of plastic are suitable for vacuum sealing. The plastic must be able to withstand high temperatures without melting or releasing harmful chemicals. Look for bags or rolls specifically labeled as "vacuum sealing" or "boilable" to ensure safety and proper sealing.

Do I need any special skills or knowledge to build a DIY vacuum sealer?

Some basic knowledge of electronics and mechanics may be helpful, but most DIY vacuum sealer designs are fairly simple and can be built with the help of online tutorials and guides. As long as you follow the instructions carefully and have some basic tools, you should be able to build a functional vacuum sealer.

Can I use my DIY vacuum sealer for long-term food storage?

It depends on the design and materials used for your DIY vacuum sealer. Some designs may not be as effective as commercial vacuum sealers for long-term storage. It is important to do some research and test your vacuum sealer before using it for storing perishable food items.

Are there any safety concerns when using a DIY vacuum sealer?

As with any DIY project, there are potential safety concerns when building and using a DIY vacuum sealer. Always follow safety precautions and guidelines provided by the manufacturer or tutorial you are following. It is also important to regularly check and maintain your vacuum sealer to prevent any accidents or malfunctions.