Building a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs

In summary, the conversation is about modifying a 3:8 decoder to have tristate outputs. The solution suggested is to add tri-state buffers to the outputs of the decoder. The specific datasheets mentioned for tri-state buffers are the '245 and '240 for octal buffers, and the 74HC240 and 74HC245 for slow CMOS.
Bipolarity
So all my 3:8 decoders have outputs only at 1 and 0. I need a tristate decoder that can be configured so that the unused outputs are open circuits (i.e. high impedance).

I know how to build a 3:8 decoder (using logic gates). How might I go about modifying it so that it has tristate outputs? Is this possible?

BiP

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
So all my 3:8 decoders have outputs only at 1 and 0. I need a tristate decoder that can be configured so that the unused outputs are open circuits (i.e. high impedance).

I know how to build a 3:8 decoder (using logic gates). How might I go about modifying it so that it has tristate outputs? Is this possible?

BiP

Would be easier to just put Tri-State buffers on the 8 outputs of the decoder, no? Or is your goal to build up the 3:8 decoder circuit to learn about it?

berkeman said:
Would be easier to just put Tri-State buffers on the 8 outputs of the decoder, no? Or is your goal to build up the 3:8 decoder circuit to learn about it?

Thanks! That's actually what I ended up doing once I learned about the tri-state buffer. Do you happen to know the datasheets for the tri-state buffer?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Thanks! That's actually what I ended up doing once I learned about the tri-state buffer. Do you happen to know the datasheets for the tri-state buffer?

BiP

The '245 and '240 I think are octal Tri-State buffers. If you want slow CMOS, that would be the 74HC240 and 74HC245. If you want fast CMOS, that would be the AC or VHC families...

olar Junction Transistor (BJT) can be used to create a tristate decoder with open circuit outputs. By connecting the base of the BJT to a control signal, the output of the decoder can be either a logic high or low, or it can be in a high impedance state. This allows for unused outputs to be left open, reducing power consumption and potential interference.

To modify a 3:8 decoder to have tristate outputs, you can add a BJT to each output, with the base connected to the control signal. When the control signal is high, the BJT will be in its active state and the output will be either a logic high or low, depending on the inputs. When the control signal is low, the BJT will be in its cutoff state, effectively disconnecting the output and creating a high impedance state.

This modification is possible and can be implemented using additional logic gates and BJTs. However, it is important to consider the overall design and how the tristate outputs will affect the functionality of the decoder. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the control signal is properly synchronized with the input signals to avoid any potential errors.

Related to Building a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs

1. What is a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs?

A 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs is a digital circuit that takes in a 3-bit input and selects one of the eight output lines to be active based on the input. The tristate output means that the output lines can be in a high-impedance state, allowing multiple decoders to be connected together without interference.

2. What is the purpose of building a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs?

The purpose of building a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs is to reduce the number of input lines required to select one of eight outputs. This is useful in applications where space and complexity are limited, such as in microcontrollers and other digital systems.

3. What components are needed to build a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs?

To build a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs, you will need 3 input lines, 8 output lines, and 3 tristate buffers. You will also need to use logic gates, such as AND and NOT gates, to implement the decoder's functionality.

4. What is the difference between a decoder and a demultiplexer?

A decoder and a demultiplexer both take an input and select one of multiple outputs based on the input. The difference is that a decoder only has one active output at a time, while a demultiplexer can have multiple active outputs simultaneously. A decoder also typically has fewer input lines than a demultiplexer.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs?

One limitation of using a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs is that it can only select one output at a time. This means that it is not suitable for applications where multiple outputs need to be active simultaneously. Additionally, the tristate output can introduce additional complexity and potential issues in the circuit design.