Making X-Aerogel from Sodium Silicate & Polystyrene

• Thread starter Dr Gonzo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homemade
In summary, The author is planning to make an X-Aerogel out of Sodium Silicate (aka Water glass) and polystyrene (aka Styrofoam). This will produce an Aerogel that is both cheap and can be ambiently dried with hexan without the need for Supercritically drying. Hexane is pretty cheap its one of the main ingredients in gasoline. My solvent will be acetone also cheap. The sodium silicate will be gelled with the base ammonia (also cheap.)
Dr Gonzo
I am planing to make some X-Aerogel out of Sodium Silicate (aka Water glass) and polystyrene (aka Styrofoam)

this combo will produce an Aerogel that is both cheap and can be ambiently dried with hexan without the need for Supercritically drying. Hexane is pretty cheap its one of the main ingredients in gasoline. My solvent will be acetone also cheap. The sodium silicate will be gelled with the base ammonia (also cheap.)

An X-Aerogel is an Aerogel with polymers added to increase strength about 300 times with a mass increase of *3. this also gives X Aerogel the ability to bend. how this works is the polymers attach to the hydroxyl groups on the outside of the Aerogels structure. They act as Duck tape holding the structure together.my planned procedure

1.Mix the sodium silicate with ammonia to activate the hydroxyl to form sol gel

2.wash sodium silicate gel with acetone 5 or 6 times

3.drop some Styrofoam into the acetone (should dissolve into the gel not sure on that part)

4.give the polystyrene time to bond to the hydroxyl groups on the sodium silicate

5.exchange the acetone with Hexane and let the Aerogel dry

Being about 300 times stronger then regular Aerogel it should be able to dry ambiently with the hexane without cracking or shrinking past 80% original volume.

Any input would be welcome i still haven't done any calculations on the amount of H2O, polystyrene or ammonia needed.

This may make some Ghetto Aerogel but i need to create some for a school project and
building a Supercritically dryer is out of the question.

Links
http://eetd.lbl.gov/ECS/Aerogels/sa-making.html
http://www.aerogel.org/?p=1058
http://www.aerogel.org/?p=1027

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Look into making SEAgel, though not as useful I am sure it would be cheaper and easier to make if you have a decent vacuum and OK temperature control. It is made by freezing an agar gel and then sublimating the ice in the a vac... This creates something even lighter then Aerogel, and you can eat it... Check it out:

When full of a lighter gas, or hot.. I think it can be even lighter then air!

Last edited by a moderator:
like the idea but my project requires me to make a chunk that can be used for a window.

Related to Making X-Aerogel from Sodium Silicate & Polystyrene

1. How is X-Aerogel made from sodium silicate and polystyrene?

X-Aerogel is made through a process called sol-gel synthesis. This involves mixing sodium silicate and polystyrene in a solvent, such as ethanol, and then allowing the mixture to undergo a series of chemical reactions and drying stages to form the final aerogel product.

2. What properties make X-Aerogel unique?

X-Aerogel has a highly porous structure, with up to 99% of its volume being empty space. This gives it extremely low density and high thermal insulation properties, making it one of the lightest and most insulating materials known.

3. What are the potential applications of X-Aerogel?

X-Aerogel has a wide range of potential applications, including in thermal insulation for buildings, aerospace materials, and as a lightweight filler in composites. It also has potential uses in environmental remediation and as a drug delivery system in medicine.

4. Can X-Aerogel be made from other materials?

Yes, X-Aerogel can be made from a variety of materials besides sodium silicate and polystyrene. Common alternatives include silica and carbon-based precursors, as well as mixtures of different materials to achieve specific properties.

5. Is the production of X-Aerogel environmentally friendly?

The production of X-Aerogel can be considered environmentally friendly as it uses non-toxic materials and does not produce harmful byproducts. However, the process can be energy-intensive, so efforts are being made to improve the sustainability of its production.

Back