Build a model plane that has to fly 20m

In summary, a model plane needs to be built that can fly 20m and go through a holla hoop at the end. Materials such as wood, paper, and plastic can be used. Ideas such as using elastic bands for energy and precision have been suggested.
physicsrules
Hi all,
I have to build a model plane that has to fly 20m and has to fly through a holla hoop at the end that is upright. To do this, we can use any materials such as wood, paper etc... Do you guys have ideas as to how to approach this? I have been racking my brains abt this for weeks...

Physics news on Phys.org
bump please help!

Elastic bands? Energy is stored in the band and is released, go to a model shop and I'm sure they will help you.

yeah i was thinking of using a rubber band to launch my plane to achieve accuracy and precision as well. however, i was wondering if wood, plastic or simply paper would serve as a good material for the body of the plane

Related to Build a model plane that has to fly 20m

What materials do I need to build a model plane that can fly 20m?

To build a model plane that can fly 20m, you will need lightweight materials such as balsa wood, foam, or plastic. You will also need a motor, propeller, and battery to power the plane. Additionally, you will need tools such as scissors, glue, and a hobby knife.

How do I design the wings of the model plane for optimal flight?

The wings of a model plane should be designed with a curved shape, called an airfoil, to create lift. The curvature and angle of the wings can be adjusted to optimize the lift and stability of the plane. You can use online resources or consult with experienced model plane builders for guidance on wing design.

What is the best way to assemble the model plane?

The best way to assemble a model plane is to follow the instructions provided with the kit or use a set of detailed plans. Start by building the frame of the plane, then attach the wings, tail, and other components. Make sure to use strong and secure connections to ensure the plane can withstand the forces of flight.

How do I make sure the model plane will fly 20m?

To ensure that the model plane will fly 20m, you can test it in a controlled environment, such as a large indoor space or a calm outdoor area. Adjust the angle and speed of the propeller, as well as the weight and balance of the plane, until it can successfully fly 20m without crashing or stalling.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when building a model plane that has to fly 20m?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building a model plane that has to fly 20m include using heavy or unbalanced materials, improper wing design, weak connections, and incorrect propeller angle or speed. It is also important to carefully follow the instructions and make sure to test the plane before attempting to fly it for the full 20m distance.