Budget PCB Router: Find One Under $1,000

In summary, there are a few options for a PCB router that can be purchased for less than $1,000. One option is the LPKF milling machine, which can be found through a consultant in Silicon Valley. Another option is the zenbot router with a wolfgang engineering spindle, which has received positive reviews for its ability to create narrow traces on PCBs. However, it may cost around $1,500 for the complete set. Some users have also reported success with using the zenbot for engraving PCBs, but it is unclear if it can achieve narrow traces.
JerryG
Do any of you guys have a PCB router? Do you know of one for less than $1,000?

Engineering news on Phys.org
JerryG said:
Do any of you guys have a PCB router? Do you know of one for less than $1,000?

Do you mean a router to cut PCBs out of a multi-up panel? Or do you mean a PCB milling machine like the LPKF machines to let you mill a 2-sided PCB from copper clad?

http://www.lpkfusa.com/protomat/index.htm

If the latter, I know of a consultant who has an LPKF milling machine here in Silicon Valley. I can give you his contact info if you want it.

I'm currently looking into this myself. I'm starting to lean towards a zenbot router with a wolfgang engineering spindle. Comments I have read on forums around the web seem to be favourable to these products. I think you could expect to pay around $1500 for the lot however, which is still a good price.

Snoogans said:
I'm currently looking into this myself. I'm starting to lean towards a zenbot router with a wolfgang engineering spindle. Comments I have read on forums around the web seem to be favourable to these products. I think you could expect to pay around $1500 for the lot however, which is still a good price.

This looks like a good option. Has anyone used a zenbot to engrave PCBs? Can it get the traces pretty narrow?

Apparently the wolfgang spindle is excelent for PCBs with narrow traces, there are some videos on youtude demonstrating. Can't say about the zenbot however.

Related to Budget PCB Router: Find One Under $1,000

What is a budget PCB router?

A budget PCB router is a machine used for cutting and shaping printed circuit boards (PCBs) at a lower cost compared to high-end models. It is designed for hobbyists, small businesses, or individuals who need to create prototypes or small batches of PCBs.

What are the key features to consider when choosing a budget PCB router?

The key features to consider when choosing a budget PCB router include the machine's cutting speed, accuracy, software compatibility, ease of use, and customer reviews. It is also important to consider the material the router can work with and its overall durability.

Can a budget PCB router produce high-quality PCBs?

Yes, a budget PCB router can produce high-quality PCBs if it has the necessary features and capabilities. However, it may not be as efficient or precise as higher-end models, so it is important to carefully research and compare different options to find the best one for your needs.

Are there any limitations to using a budget PCB router?

Like any machine, budget PCB routers have their limitations. They may not be suitable for large production runs or working with complex designs. They may also have a smaller cutting area and fewer features compared to higher-end models. It is important to understand these limitations before purchasing a budget PCB router.

What is the average cost of a budget PCB router?

The average cost of a budget PCB router is typically under $1,000, but this can vary depending on the brand, features, and capabilities. It is important to set a budget and compare different options to find the best value for money.