What is the best budget-friendly router with 1 GB Ethernet for under $150?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, the author recommends looking into the Netgear R6400 router, which is available for around $150. The author also recommends upgrading the firmware as soon as possible.
Borek
Mentor
So, I need a new router. I don't need anything more fancy than the old one, perhaps 1 GB Ethernet would be a welcomed addition. As you may guess from the one I used up to today I am not entirely up to date with the newest gear. Any suggestions?

(and we are talking about $100-150 at most)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Borek said:
So, I need a new router. I don't need anything more fancy than the old one, perhaps 1 GB Ethernet would be a welcomed addition. As you may guess from the one I used up to today I am not entirely up to date with the newest gear. Any suggestions?

(and we are talking about $100-150 at most)
I guess if you liked it, you could order the same exact thing. I searched online and it ranges from $50 to $90, but it'd be a few days before you get it, it looks like.
Just a thought.

Yes, they are still available and buying it for the second time it is an option that I consider quite seriously :smile: But after well over 10 years I have nothing against a small upgrade, especially when I already HAVE to buy something.

Likes scottdave
Borek said:
So, I need a new router. I don't need anything more fancy than the old one, perhaps 1 GB Ethernet would be a welcomed addition.
As @dlgoff mentioned, Netgear is worth looking at. A few years ago when I had to replace my router, I asked a few network folks I know and the consensus was Netgear had the fewest problems. I settled on model WNDR3700 (Ver.2, they are now up to Ver.4) which also meets your stated wish-list (Gigabit, Wireless, cost).

The wireless antenna(s) is built-in and adequate for medium house/large apartment. If you need maximum wireless range you would be better off with a model with multiple external antennae.

Whichever one you get, be sure to upgrade the firmware as soon as you get on line. The seller may be shipping old stock (read 'buggy'). As with any software, never buy version 1.

p.s. Just checked Netgear website. The WNDR3700 specs show System Requirements only up to Win8; plus Mac, Linux, UNIX

Likes dlgoff
So, Netgear R6400 it is, already up and running. After some reading I decided it is not just upgrade to 1 GB Ethernet that makes sense, also ac is a good idea, as it is quite popular in the mobile devices. Turned out I was right, the moment I plugged the router in several of the devices I have at home happily connected using 5 GHz band.

Thanks for all suggestions. I still think about buying used WRT55GL for peanuts and keeping it stored and configured, just in case.

Likes dlgoff

Related to What is the best budget-friendly router with 1 GB Ethernet for under $150?

1. What could have caused my WRT54GL to suddenly stop working?

There could be a few possible reasons for this. It could be due to a power surge, a faulty power adapter, or internal hardware failure. It's also possible that the device has simply reached the end of its lifespan.

2. Is there any way to fix my WRT54GL or do I need to buy a new one?

It depends on the cause of the problem. If it's a simple issue like a power surge or a faulty power adapter, those can be easily replaced. However, if it's a more complex internal hardware failure, it may be more cost-effective to purchase a new router.

3. Can I retrieve any important data from my WRT54GL before I replace it?

Unfortunately, routers do not typically store any data. Any settings or configurations that were saved on the device will need to be manually reconfigured on the new router.

4. How long is the typical lifespan of a WRT54GL router?

The average lifespan of a router can vary depending on usage and environmental factors. However, most routers are designed to last for several years, with the WRT54GL being known for its durability and longevity.

5. Are there any troubleshooting steps I can try before declaring my WRT54GL dead?

Yes, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure the power adapter is plugged in securely and there are no power outages. You can also try resetting the router by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds. If these steps do not work, it's likely that the router is no longer functioning and will need to be replaced.