BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor to MS Aerospace Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's plan to pursue a MS in aerospace or astronautical engineering after graduating with a major in applied physics and a minor in math. The student mentions their school does not offer an aerospace degree, so they are taking mechanical engineering classes to cover the applied focus. They ask for advice on what material to study before starting graduate school and share their course schedule for the next two years. They also inquire about whether their schedule will adequately prepare them for graduate school and seek advice from professors in their desired field.
Lord_Sidious
I am a junior applied physics major/math minor. I recently decided I want to go for a MS in aerospace or astronautical engineering after I graduate. My applied focus is covered by taking some mechanical engineering classes (my school doesn't have an aerospace degree). I was wondering what kind of material I should study on my own before I start graduate school. My last two years look like (excluding non-related classes):

Fall 2014
--------
-Ordinary Differential Equations (emphasis on dynamical systems)
-Electricity And Magnetism I
-Theoretical Mechanics
-Physics Of Condensed Matter

Spring 2015
-----------
-Partial Differential Equations
-Electricity And Magnetism II
-Thermodynamics II
-Fluid Mechanics
-Fluid lab

Fall 2015
--------
-Methods Of Numerical Analysis
-Physical Chemistry I
-Intro to Programming

Spring 2016
-----------
-Atomic and Nuclear Lab​
-Heat Transfer
-Energy Lab ( ...to be taken with Heat Transfer. Experiments include Fourier's Law, cooling of fins/rods, determination of free and forced convection heat transfer coefficients, heat exchangers, Stefan Boltzmann Law, surface emission, surface reflection.)

Does this schedule look like it will help and that I won't be completely behind?
Any info or advice will be helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Get your graduate school's calendar and find out what you need for the degree you want. Google it up. Calendars are often on line. You might also email a prof or two that you might like to work with and get their advice. Also ask if they are going to have room for a new grad student. They might already have nine and no room.

Related to BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor to MS Aerospace Engineering

1. What is the difference between a BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor and an MS in Aerospace Engineering?

A BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor is an undergraduate degree that focuses on the fundamentals of physics and mathematics, while an MS in Aerospace Engineering is a graduate degree that builds upon these foundations and applies them to the field of aerospace engineering. The MS program includes more advanced coursework and research opportunities specifically related to aerospace engineering.

2. Can I pursue a MS in Aerospace Engineering with a BS in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a MS in Aerospace Engineering with a BS in a different field. However, it may require additional coursework or prerequisites to ensure a strong foundation in physics and mathematics. The specific requirements may vary depending on the university and program.

3. What are the career opportunities with a BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor and MS in Aerospace Engineering?

Career opportunities with a BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor and MS in Aerospace Engineering include roles in aerospace engineering, research and development, space exploration, and defense industries. Graduates may also pursue careers in related fields such as renewable energy, automotive engineering, and materials science.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor and MS in Aerospace Engineering program?

The length of time to complete a BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor and MS in Aerospace Engineering program may vary depending on the individual's pace of study and the specific program requirements. On average, it may take around 5-6 years to complete both degrees.

5. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from a BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor and MS in Aerospace Engineering?

Through a BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor and MS in Aerospace Engineering program, you can expect to gain a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, as well as specialized knowledge in aerospace engineering principles and applications. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical skills that are valuable in a wide range of industries.