Browser blocked files from downloading

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed issues with Internet Explorer version 8 blocking file downloads while visiting physicsforums, and whether this problem was specific to the website or a general issue with being connected to the internet. The speakers also mentioned using different browsers such as Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Chrome, with some recommending switching to Firefox due to its customizable add-ons. They also mentioned the possibility of flash banner ads causing security concerns.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Almost twice per week, Internet Explorer version 8 blocks files from downloading while I am visiting physicsforums. This seems to occasionally happen just when I try to visit any of the various boards of forums on physicsforums. Is this a problem of just visiting the various online websites, a problem with just being connected to the internet, or a problem happening specifically to physicsforums?

Windows Vista is always updated whenever updates are available, regularly. Norton 360 version 4.3 is in use and updated almost dally.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you use firefox? I.E. has many bugs, as far as I know.

I have a couple of different versions of IE, plus Firefox and Opera. I never use any of them, though, because Safari just blows their socks off.

It is possible that some flash banner ads are trying to push tracking cookies to your browser. When it happens again take note of the banner ad that is displayed and PM it to me. Overall there should be no real security concerns.

Chrome runs pretty good, so you can try that.

I suggest you switch to firefox. IE can be quite annoying at times and firefox is customisable in the sense of add-ons.

Related to Browser blocked files from downloading

What does it mean when a browser blocks a file from downloading?

When a browser blocks a file from downloading, it means that the browser has detected the file as potentially harmful or dangerous to your computer. This could be due to the file containing a virus, malware, or other malicious content.

Why does my browser block certain files from downloading?

Browsers have built-in security measures to protect users from downloading potentially harmful files. These measures are in place to prevent viruses, malware, and other malicious content from infecting your computer and compromising your personal information.

How do I know if a file is safe to download?

Before downloading a file, you can check its source and verify if it is from a trusted and reputable website. You can also use antivirus software to scan the file before opening it. Additionally, pay attention to any warnings or notifications from your browser about the file's safety.

Can I bypass the browser's block and still download the file?

It is not recommended to bypass the browser's block and download a file that has been deemed potentially harmful. Doing so can put your computer and personal information at risk. It is best to err on the side of caution and avoid downloading the file.

What should I do if a file I need is blocked from downloading?

If the file is necessary for your work or research, you can contact the website or source where the file is hosted and inquire about its safety. If you are certain that the file is safe, you can also adjust your browser's security settings to allow the download. However, proceed with caution and make sure to scan the file for any potential threats before opening it.