Broke Freezing: NW Weather Crisis

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freezing
In summary, on the coldest day of the year, NW residents were dealing with -38 degrees F wind chill. Roads were a sheet of ice and water pipes were a major worry. Fortunately, the weather warmed up a bit later in the day.
the Chickens are cool here, Natural ice skating is rare here before new year but it happens

schaatsen-natuurijs-11230.jpg

Snow is moving in tonight and it will get even colder after that.

Probably because there is a http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/ENSO-summary.shtml going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
Actually, my goal is to get someone to spew up on a keyboard and wreck it.

The last keyboard I wrecked at work was because I picked up a juice box, apparently squishing it too hard, and a fountain spewed from the straw across my keyboard. A friend of mine mocked me that I hadn't yet mastered what his three-year-old son had.

GeorginaS said:
The last keyboard I wrecked...

Which just makes me itch to know your total number of keyboards wrecked.

Andre said:
schaatsen-natuurijs-11230.jpg
Awesome pic. It's like you live in a Van Gogh painting.

zoobyshoe said:
I just realized if you put all three together you get: KFC.

Which should be a springboard for chicken temperature humor. But I can't think of anything.

Funny!

It goes back to the triple point of chicken fat.

Ivan Seeking said:
It goes back to the triple point of chicken fat.

That's it exactly!

zoobyshoe said:
Which just makes me itch to know your total number of keyboards wrecked.

That was only my second. My first I spilled just a wee bit of coffee on while playing Asheron's Call one morning. A fair sized group of us were in a fairly scary dungeon when my "s" stuck pressed down (I thought that I'd mopped up all of the coffee and that only a few drops had landed on keys and not between them) and wouldn't come back up again. I wasn't sure what was going on, save that my avatar was running in circles, and I'd lost complete control of the keyboard and couldn't message my gang that I was having technical difficulties. Things went from bad to worse and I had to do a hard shut-down to make my computer happy or at least quiet. The keyboard didn't recover.

So, but, okay, two. That's not bad in, what? Over 16 years on a computer regularly. It was a nice keyboard, though, and they don't make them any more. It was sad, actually but a learning experience.

Now, for alloys at Canadian room temperatures, Ivan. :-p

And to get back on track, the cold snap finally broke this morning and the temperature rose to -23C (-9F), and people were jubilant. I encountered a woman just as I got into the building at work this morning, and we commented on how pleased we were by the nicer temperature. And then I said to her, "And that's precisely how we know we're Canadian. We're fist-pumping happy for -23C weather." She laughed pretty hard.