Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency, experimental data

In summary: There are also experiments on the emission and absorption of electrons in gases. However, I don't think historical experiments would provide a direct evidence about quantum mechanics.
lalbatros
Goodmorning,

I would be interrested in experimental data regarding the Bremsstrahlung process near the quantum mechanical cutoff, possibly single events data.

I thought that maybe something like a bubble chamber picture could illustrate this process. This is maybe a naïve dream but this would be the most convincing evidence about the quantum mechanical nature of this process: some pictures of individual events.

Would it be possible to see somehow the single photon as well as the recoil of one atom in such a picture?

In another dream I thought that maybe some individual electron experiments (I mean one electron at a time) could provide the same information.

Any other experimental data useful to illustrate the quantum aspects of Bremsstrahlung could be of interrest.

thanks,

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know exactly what are the energy scales you are talking about. But I see two problems: in order for the recoil to be detectable, you would need a certain minimum kinetic energy of the nucleus so that it produces a track of, say, at least a few 100 micrometers. I think it would need at least a few KeV of energy before it is detectable. Now, to have a few KeV of *recoil* energy, this means that the photon must be quite higher.
Next, photons by themselves don't leave any trace in a detector. The only things that are detectable are photo-electric events (then, the photon is gone), or Compton events (the photon "survives" and an electron is emitted, and what is detectable is the emitted electron, not the photon itself.

So I'm not sure exactly what kind of event you'd like to see.

vanesch,

I am looking first to experimental data on the Bremsstrahlung as a single quantum event.
This would be the most direct evidence about this process, but there is indeed little chances that such data are available for the reasons you explained.
Other kind of data that would provide the same evidence would help me too, as long as the interpretation is not too much indirect.

In summary, I would "simply" like to see a single Bremsstrahlung event.
What about single-electron-impact experiments with photon coïncidence?
What about bremsstrahlung in gases?
Maybe some historical experiments?

Any idea?

Thanks,

Michel

Last edited:

Related to Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency, experimental data

1. What is Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency?

Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when charged particles, such as electrons, are decelerated or accelerated in the presence of a strong electric field. The cutoff frequency refers to the threshold frequency at which this radiation begins to be produced.

2. How is Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency measured?

To measure Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency, experimental data is collected using specialized instruments such as X-ray detectors. These detectors measure the intensity and energy distribution of the emitted radiation, which can then be used to analyze the properties of the particles and electric field involved.

3. What are the applications of studying Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency?

Studying Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency has a wide range of applications, including in medical imaging, materials science, and nuclear physics. It can also provide valuable insights into the behavior of particles and electric fields in various environments.

4. What factors can affect the Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency?

The intensity and energy distribution of Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency can be influenced by several factors, such as the charge and energy of the particles involved, the strength of the electric field, and the material through which the particles are passing.

5. How is Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency related to other types of radiation?

Bremsstrahlung near the cutoff frequency is a type of non-ionizing radiation, meaning it does not have enough energy to remove electrons from atoms. It is also related to other forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as X-rays and gamma rays, which are produced through similar processes but at higher energies and frequencies.