Breccia meteorite smashed into summer house in the middle of Oslo

In summary, the Colony Gardens are a charming district encircled by "normal" buildings in Oslo, with tiny summer houses and idyllic garden plots. It is off limits to those not having direct connection to the owners, and is home to a rare extraterrestrial meteorite.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
One of the "hidden jewels" in Oslo is the so-called Rodeløkka Colony Garden district. Here, encircled by "normal" buildings in a city, you find tiny summer houses, with idyllic garden plots and fruit trees. It is very charming, but is off limits for those not having direct connection to the owners of the cottages.

This spring, when visiting the house for the first time, an owner was surprised that part of the cottage's roof had been smashed in, and found an odd rock at the floor.

Astronomers are quite certain that it is a so-called breccia meteorite, and if it is, it will be a worldwide rarity.
http://www.aftenposten.no/viten/Sjelden-stein-fra-verdensrommet-lagde-hull-i-taket-6782336.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a photo series of how the cottages look like:
http://www.kolonihager.no/web/PageND.aspx?id=105698

The Colony Gardens started out as a charity project so that impoverished working class families could get a sense of holiday in the middle of the city (affluent citizens in Oslo at that time had their own summer houses at the various islands that the Oslo fjord is sprinkled with).

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Here is a photo series of how the cottages look like:
http://www.kolonihager.no/web/PageND.aspx?id=105698

The Colony Gardens started out as a charity project so that impoverished working class families could get a sense of holiday in the middle of the city (affluent citizens in Oslo at that time had their own summer houses at the various islands that the Oslo fjord is sprinkled with).
That first photo shows what appears to me to be a small shed-observatory with a roll-off roof. Very nice but hardly a cottage.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the necessary qualifications of a proper cottage, mighty turbo?

The presence of buxom dairy maids?

arildno said:
What are the necessary qualifications of a proper cottage, mighty turbo?

The presence of buxom dairy maids?
Buxom dairy maids would be proper (if not necessary) accouterments to a cottage. Ski-bunnies would also be nice, but I'm not picky.

What a cutie! I don't care if she milks cows or can ski worth a damn.

She doesn't even have to cook. I can take care of that.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Oh, that picture just begs for inappropriate comments about that horn.
I chose a picture where I myself would only have PURE, WHOLESOME thoughts looking at it!
I am a moral guy, usually.
:approve:

I had pure and wholesome thoughts. I'd gladly get up every day and make her breakfast.

turbo said:
I had pure and wholesome thoughts. I'd gladly get up every day and make her breakfast.
A breakfast served in...a horn of plenty, perhaps?

Evo said:
Oh, that picture just begs for inappropriate comments about that horn.
Oh young woman with the horn of plenty,
I hope your age is over twenty.
You're really such an attractive lass,
Some forum members would like to - check your mass.

Borg said:
Oh young woman with the horn of plenty,
I hope your age is over twenty.
You're really such an attractive lass,
Some forum members would like to - check your mass.
:biggrin:

Related to Breccia meteorite smashed into summer house in the middle of Oslo

1. What is a breccia meteorite?

A breccia meteorite is a type of meteorite that is formed from fragments of different types of rocks and minerals that have been fused together during an impact event in outer space.

2. How did the breccia meteorite end up in a summer house in Oslo?

It is believed that the breccia meteorite was formed during the collision of two larger meteoroids in space. One of these meteoroids then entered Earth's atmosphere and broke apart, with one of the fragments crashing into the summer house in Oslo.

3. Are breccia meteorites dangerous?

Generally, breccia meteorites are not considered dangerous as they are usually small in size and do not pose a significant risk to human safety. However, it is always important to exercise caution when handling any type of meteorite.

4. How rare is it for a meteorite to hit a summer house?

It is extremely rare for a meteorite to hit a summer house, or any man-made structure for that matter. Most meteorites burn up in Earth's atmosphere or land in remote areas where they are not discovered.

5. What can be learned from studying this breccia meteorite?

Scientists can learn a lot from studying this breccia meteorite, such as its composition, age, and potentially its origins in space. This information can help us better understand the formation and evolution of our solar system.

Back