Breaking into a unique area of study?

• Thread starter NextElement
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Study
In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's interest in marine invertebrates, specifically sponges, and their plans for graduate school and research in this field. They discussed the possibility of finding a professor with a dedicated lab in this area and the importance of having a specific research question in mind. The conversation ended with the speaker becoming even more intrigued by sponges and their potential for unique insights.
NextElement
Long story short, I'm taking my Intro Biology class/lab right now. My current plan is grad school in a field of Biology, so obviously I've been keeping an eye out for a field that might interest me. We are currently studying Plants and Animals, and I've become hooked on Marine Invertebrates... Sponges (Porifera) mainly. My professor jokingly said that some Biologists actually had the audacity to devote their research to sponges, and it caught my attention...

I was later talking to him, and asked him how someone would go about grad school with the eventual hopes of researching sponges and other marine invertebrates. He said that you may have to attend a grad school where a Prof already has a lab dedicated to tha area (probably few I am assuming) and follow that professor around. Is this correct? How does one break into researching a very unique or small area like Porifera?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the "follow him around" part, but the general idea is that you start with graduate work in a particular area.

I suspect a lot of biological research doesn't so much start with wanting to learn about a certain class of animal, rather, it starts with a specific question that will add value to our understanding of nature. This could be something like how (if at all) a sea sponge navigates - which may be of particular interest if it tells you something about the larger ecosystem, or if it could lead to insight into another problem, such as designing a mop that targets specific microorganisms.

Damn it - now you've got me interested in sea sponges.

Hahahaha! Well from what I know, adult sea sponges don't move at all (but their larvae can). Interesting points as well, thank you!

Related to Breaking into a unique area of study?

1. What steps should I take to break into a unique area of study?

Breaking into a unique area of study can be a daunting task, but there are a few steps you can take to make the process more manageable. First, do your research and familiarize yourself with the field you are interested in. This will help you understand the current state of the field and identify any gaps or areas for further exploration. Next, network with professionals in the field and seek out mentors who can provide guidance and support. Additionally, consider pursuing relevant education and training opportunities to gain the necessary knowledge and skills. Finally, be persistent and stay open to new opportunities that may arise.

2. How can I stand out in a competitive field?

In order to stand out in a competitive field, it's important to find your unique niche within the area of study. This could involve focusing on a specific subfield, developing a novel approach or methodology, or collaborating with other experts in related fields. Additionally, showcasing your passion and dedication for the subject through your work and contributions to the field can help set you apart from others.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in the field to break into a unique area of study?

While having a background in the field can certainly be beneficial, it is not always necessary to break into a unique area of study. Many successful researchers and scientists have come from diverse backgrounds and brought new perspectives to their fields. However, it may be helpful to have some basic knowledge and understanding of the field before diving into a new area of study.

4. How can I stay motivated and focused while exploring a unique area of study?

Exploring a unique area of study can be challenging and may require a significant amount of time and effort. To stay motivated and focused, it's important to remember your passion for the subject and the potential impact your work could have on the field. Setting achievable goals and celebrating small successes along the way can also help maintain motivation. Additionally, surrounding yourself with a supportive network of colleagues and mentors can provide encouragement and accountability.

5. What are some potential challenges I may face when breaking into a unique area of study?

Breaking into a unique area of study may come with its own set of challenges. One common challenge is the lack of existing resources or literature in the field, which may require you to conduct extensive research and develop new methods or techniques. Another challenge could be gaining recognition and credibility within the field, especially if you are coming from a different background. Additionally, navigating the publishing and funding processes may also be challenging. However, with determination and perseverance, these challenges can be overcome.