Break Quote Button: A Handy Feature

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Ibix
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of having a feature in the editor that would make it easier to quote a post with one's own comments interspersed. Some users suggest using the multiquote or highlight quote features, but others find them cumbersome and suggest a button that would automatically insert the necessary quote tags. The conversation also mentions a previous button that performed a similar function but is no longer available.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Something I want to do quite often is quote a post in chunks with my own comments interspersed. A button in the editor that inserts a close quote tag followed by an open quote tag (possibly with the user/post metadata) would be a helpful feature for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hear, hear.

Hmmm not sure I understand. How does multi quote or highlight quote not work for this?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hmmm not sure I understand.
Let me see if I can explain.

Greg Bernhardt said:
How does multi quote or highlight quote not work for this?
It does, but it's not the same!

To do the above, I simply clicked on Reply, then had to insert manually a [/QUOTE] at the end of your first sentence, then copy-paste [QUOTE="Greg Bernhardt, post: 5398685, member: 1"] to get the second quote.

The same result is achieved by highlighting, but one has to select the original post one part at a time. I guess @Ibix and @Bystander where either not aware of that or think it is too much work :smile:

Likes mfb, Greg Bernhardt and Merlin3189
I was aware of the techniques Dr Claude describes, and use them on my laptop. But highlighting is an extreme pain to get right on my phone (possibly I'm just clumsy). It is a lot easier to quote an entire post and delete the parts I don't want. But if I want to break a quote I either have to cut and paste (again with the highlighting), manually add the quote tags (square brackets and slashes are annoyingly difficult on my phone keyboard), or quote-and-delete repeatedly.

I understand if it's not something you want to do. I'd find it a useful feature, however.

Likes DrClaude
The closest we have today is the multiquote feature: Select a portion of the post you're replying to, add it to multiquote, select the next portion, repeat as necessary, then click the "Insert Quotes" button to drop each portion into the reply with the appropriate opening and closing quote tags.

I don't find this technique very satisfying, as it requires me to decide exactly how I'm going to cut up the original post before I start composing any of my own text, and that's just not how I work. We used to have a button that would a piece of selected text in quote tags, and that came pretty close and I used it a fair amount.

Nugatory said:
I don't find this technique very satisfying, as it requires me to decide exactly how I'm going to cut up the original post before I start composing any of my own text, and that's just not how I work.
I hear you. Thank goodness for multiple browser tabs. :approve:

Nugatory said:
We used to have a button that would a piece of selected text in quote tags, and that came pretty close and I used it a fair amount.
You can mark a piece of text and select reply; then it starts a reply with the quoted text or adds the text with the quote at the position of the cursor in the current partially composed reply. Unfortunately it works only when the text is on the same page as the partial reply.

Related to Break Quote Button: A Handy Feature

1. What is the purpose of the "Break Quote Button" feature?

The Break Quote Button is a handy feature that allows users to insert a line break or "break quote" within a block of text. This is useful for creating visually appealing and organized content, particularly in quotes or long paragraphs.

2. How do I use the "Break Quote Button" feature?

To use the Break Quote Button, simply highlight the text where you want to insert the break quote and click on the button. This will automatically insert a break quote, which can be adjusted for length and style.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the break quotes?

Yes, the Break Quote Button feature allows for customization of the break quotes. Users can change the length, style, and color of the break quotes to fit their desired aesthetic.

4. Is the "Break Quote Button" feature available on all devices?

Yes, the Break Quote Button is available on all devices that support HTML and CSS. This includes desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones.

5. Does the "Break Quote Button" feature affect the overall formatting of my text?

No, the Break Quote Button feature only adds a break quote within the selected text. It does not affect the overall formatting of the text or any other elements on the page.