Brain Teaser: Time 17:14, 12:01, 07:04 - What's Next?

• Thread starter Oblivion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Time
In summary, the conversation discusses a riddle or puzzle involving a sequence of times. The first three times are given, and there is a pattern that needs to be discovered in order to determine the fourth time. Multiple solutions are proposed, but it is suggested that the answer will become clear once the pattern is understood. The final proposed answer is 02:00, which is based on the pattern of numbers on a digital watch.
Oblivion
17:14, 12:01, 07:04, ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, maybe 12:11? Have you really given enough terms to figure this out?

I can think of three legit answers.

And They Are...?

yomamma said:
And They Are...?

Enough to tell me that this riddle isn't complete and thus has no answer.

They are specific times that have something in common. If you figure out the relationship between the first three, the last one will be apparent.

Well, 01:32 works. It may not be the most simplest pattern, but it does work...

You should realize that given any finite sequence of numbers, no matter how long the sequence is, and no matter what the numbers in the sequence are, you can give any number you want as the next number in the sequence and justify it. The way to do so is to produce a polynomial whose zeros are the numbers in the given sequence plus the one that you answered with. That having been said, I can justify the following answer based on a difference equation.

Answer whited out

02:23

17:14, 12:01, 07:04, 02:10

I think this is one of those "when you get the answer you'll know it" kind of puzzles.

The answer isn't merely arbitrary - i.e.: not merely an extrapolation from the given numbers. The answer will be obvious (once the logic is demonstrated).

eg.: N S E ?

There are many answers that could satisfy the pattern, but W is obviously the correct answer.

Oblivion said:
17:14, 12:01, 07:04, ?

if you notice the minutes, first 14, then it's components in right to left order: 1 and 4. then if you notice the hours, first there is 17, then form right to left order: 1 and 7. the problem here for me is the 2 in 12:01. maybe it means that it is the second 1, so maybe, you try to say that next is the first right inumber of the middle hour (the socond one) and the first right minute of the socond hour. I know it is extremely confusing, I don't know to how to explian it, but here are my three possibilties:

13:00
10:00
01:00

Last edited:
17:14, 12:01, 07:04, 01:51

Oblivion, are you still around?

Rahmuss said:
17:14, 12:01, 07:04, 01:51

is it random guessing or you have a background pattern?

solution:

02:00 because when they're seen on a digital watch they have 5:6,7:8,9:10,11:12 lines.(The smallest possible ones must be the solution.)
or
From the 1st set to the 3rd set, you replace the 1's with 0's. Following the same logic of replacing the 1's with 0's, going from the 2nd set to the 4th set you end up with 02:00.

Oblivion said:
solution:

02:00 because when they're seen on a digital watch they have 5:6,7:8,9:10,11:12 lines.(The smallest possible ones must be the solution.)
or
From the 1st set to the 3rd set, you replace the 1's with 0's. Following the same logic of replacing the 1's with 0's, going from the 2nd set to the 4th set you end up with 02:00.
Pretty good explanation (your first explanation, about the digital watch). I think no one would ever have gotten it.

Related to Brain Teaser: Time 17:14, 12:01, 07:04 - What's Next?

1. What is the pattern for the given brain teaser?

The pattern for this brain teaser is that the digits in the first two sets of numbers (17:14 and 12:01) are decreasing by one, while the digits in the last two sets of numbers (12:01 and 07:04) are increasing by three.

2. What is the next number after 07:04?

The next number after 07:04 would be 08:07, as the pattern suggests that the digits should continue increasing by three.

3. Can the pattern be applied to any set of numbers?

No, this specific pattern can only be applied to the given sets of numbers. However, there may be other patterns that can be applied to different sets of numbers.

4. Is there a mathematical formula for this brain teaser?

Not necessarily. While the pattern can be described mathematically, it is not a specific formula and may not be applicable to other sets of numbers.

5. Are there any other possible solutions to this brain teaser?

It is possible that there may be other solutions or patterns that can also fit the given sets of numbers. However, the most commonly accepted solution is the one described above.