Brachistochrone Problem/Calculus of Variations

In summary, the conversation discussed two problems, the Brachistochrone problem and finding geodesics on a sphere using calculus of variations. The hint given for the Brachistochrone problem was to make a substitution for y and dy and group terms to integrate. As for the geodesics on a sphere, the differential line element in spherical coordinates was mentioned and the use of the Euler-Lagrange equation.
Megatron
I'm working on the Brachistochrone probem and I've gotten to the equation:

(dy/dx)^2 = (c^2*y)/(1-c^2*y)

the 'hint' given is to use y = sin^2(theta)/c^2 to solve the integral. I haven't done any math for 5 months and i haven't been in a pure math class for over a year, so I'm drawing a complete blank on how to solve this. If someone could point me in the right direction that would help.

Also, I'm having trouble approaching a problem in which I'm asked to find the geodesics on a sphere of unit radius using calculus of variations. I'm asked to express phi as a function of theta but that isn't making sense to me...again, some direction would help me get on track.
(^ is supposed to denote a power)

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you make the substitution
[tex]y = \sin^2(\theta)/c^2[/tex]
then you also need to substitute for [itex]dy[/itex] the value
[tex]dy = 2/c^2 \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex].
Grouping [itex]\theta[/itex] terms and x terms on opposite sides of the equation should give you something you can integrate.

Look familiar? Think back to your integral calculus class :)

For the geodesics on a sphere you need to consider the differential line element in spherical coordinates
[tex]ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2 + r^2\sin^2(\theta) d\phi^2[/tex]
and remember that for a geodesic the quantity you are trying to minimize is
[tex]\int ds[/tex].

On the surface of a sphere [itex]r[/itex] is constant, so that simplifies things a bit, and you can then factor out the [itex]d\theta^2[/itex] and follow the standard calculus of variations method using the Euler-Lagrange equation.

Last edited:

Related to Brachistochrone Problem/Calculus of Variations

1. What is the Brachistochrone Problem?

The Brachistochrone Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the curve that a particle would follow under the influence of gravity, in order to travel between two given points in the shortest amount of time. It is also known as the "curve of quickest descent" problem.

2. What is the significance of the Brachistochrone Problem?

The Brachistochrone Problem is significant because it was one of the first problems to be solved using the Calculus of Variations, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the path or function that minimizes a given functional. It also has practical applications in engineering and physics, such as designing roller coasters and optimizing the flight path of a rocket.

3. How is the Brachistochrone Problem solved?

The Brachistochrone Problem is solved using the Calculus of Variations. The solution involves setting up an integral representing the time taken for the particle to travel along a certain path, and then using the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the path that minimizes this integral. This results in a differential equation that can be solved to find the desired curve.

4. What are some real-life examples of the Brachistochrone Problem?

Some real-life examples of the Brachistochrone Problem include designing roller coasters, finding the optimal flight path for a rocket, and determining the shape of a water slide for a given height and length. It can also be applied to problems in economics and finance, such as minimizing the time taken for a stock portfolio to reach a certain value.

5. What other problems can be solved using the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include the Brachistochrone Problem, the Isoperimetric Problem, the Minimal Surface Problem, and the Plateau Problem. It is also used in the optimization of control systems and in the study of optimal control and differential games.