Box on a sphere is nudged- when does it fall off?

In summary, the question asks for the maximum speed that a box on a sphere can have without falling off and at what angle from the vertical the box will last touch the sphere. To solve this problem, you can use Newton's 2nd law in addition to the concepts of energy conservation and gravitational potential and kinetic energy. Consider the forces acting on the box as it slides down to find the answers.
Aesops
Box on a sphere is nudged-- when does it fall off?

Homework Statement

A box of mass "m" is placed on a sphere of radius "r". The box is given an extremely small nudge to get it moving.

(a) What is the maximum speed the ball may have without leaving the sphere?
(b) At what angle from the vertical does the ball last touch the sphere?

Homework Equations

I think this is a question requiring energy, so

Ugpe = mgh
KE = mv2/2

But knowing there is a circle involved,

Fc = mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to attack the problem... I do know that our physics class has not yet gone over anything beyond Newton's three laws and the concepts of gravitational potential and kinetic energy.

Physics news on Phys.org

ball on sphere?
you asked box on sphere
please rephrase question correctly

Aesops said:
I'm not sure how to attack the problem... I do know that our physics class has not yet gone over anything beyond Newton's three laws and the concepts of gravitational potential and kinetic energy.
That's all you need. Hint: In addition to energy conservation, make use of Newton's 2nd law. What forces act on the box as it slides down?

Related to Box on a sphere is nudged- when does it fall off?

1. What is a box on a sphere?

A box on a sphere refers to a physical model in which a box is placed on a spherical surface, such as a globe or a ball.

2. How does the box stay on the sphere?

The box stays on the sphere due to the force of gravity and the friction between the box and the spherical surface.

3. What does it mean to be "nudged"?

In this context, being nudged means that the box is given a small push or force, causing it to move slightly on the spherical surface.

4. When does the box fall off the sphere?

The box will fall off the sphere when the force pushing it exceeds the force of gravity and friction, causing it to lose contact with the spherical surface.

5. What factors affect when the box falls off the sphere?

The main factors that affect when the box falls off the sphere include the size and weight of the box, the angle and force of the nudge, and the surface characteristics of the sphere.