Are There Any New Classes of Antibiotics for Treating Antibiotic Resistance?

• Thread starter rockind78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, antibiotics are a type of medication used to treat infections. There are many different types of antibiotics, and each one works on a different type of bacteria. Some of the most common antibiotics are sulfonamides, quinolones, penicillins, cephalosporins, tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, and macrolides. The most recent antibiotics are fluroquinolones and macrolydes.
rockind78
I am being asked to discuss antibiotic resistance for a take-home exam and I was wondering if I am missing any classes of antibiotics. This is what I have:

*Sulfonamides
*Quinolones
*Penicillins
*Cephalosporins
*Tetracyclines
*Aminoglycosides
*Macrolides
*Chloramphenicol

*The book I am referencing is now going on five years old, so I wanted to know if anything signifigant has popped up. Any thoughts? thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
erythromycins (which target the ribosome, like tetracyclins and aminoglycosides)

lincosamindes, clindamycin and lincomycin against anaerobic pathogens

fluroquinolones (related to the older quinolones) are synthetic antibiotics

macrolydes have a macrocyclic lactone chemical structure, antibiotics belonging to this group are erythromycin and clarithyromycin.

Just look up those names I just gave, since I am not entirely sure if they are classes or actual antibiotics.

myxopyronin - DNA-dependent polymerase
CBR703 (This one is fairly new) - inhibits RNA polymerase http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/10/031024064511.htm

In your list you have mention antibiotics that are not class. For example, Penicilin and Cephalosporins are a beta-lactam but both can are sometimes referred to as different classes.

This is a table showing some older antibiotics with their class and the year of discovery
http://www.asmusa.org/memonly/asmnews/may99/table1.htm

Here a list
http://www.chemicalland21.com/arokorhi/info/ANTIBIOTICS.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbapenems

again ather kind of beta-lactam

you better of classing them has eg: beta-lactams (which is there mode of action -- the polygylcan wall..and X-bridge) and then provide examples:

eg:

BETA-LACTAMS:

Clavams - and good example is clavulanic acid, which is used in a mixture, in order to combat anti-biotic resistance, say for example against a Zn protase? (think its protase), mechinsm.

Pencillians eg penams

Carbapenems - meropenem

Monobactams,
and
Oxacephems: which are bascily Oxgyen analogues to Cephems (which are cephalosporins)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your responses. They are VERY helpful!:smile:.
I think my professor is going to end up with more info than he wants because of the way he phrased the question, but he usually enjoys reading up on stuff he is not familiar with.

Look here - http://antibioticsfor.com/antibiotic-classes.phtml" .
Good luck in your studies!

kopilka said:
Look here - http://antibioticsfor.com/antibiotic-classes.phtml" .
Good luck in your studies!

Welcome to PF Kopilka and well done! I think you've broken the record for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_(Internet)#Necrobumps". As you can see from the date above people's names this thread has not been active for 8 years, the person's studies were completed long ago!

Useful information is needed and after 8 years of ago))):smile:

wow, people here really know stuff! impressive.

like can you think of anywhere else where you'd ask a random question like that and actually get answers?! from people who seem to know what they're talking about?!

1. What are new classes of antibiotics?

New classes of antibiotics refer to newly discovered or developed types of antimicrobial drugs that are effective against bacterial infections. These antibiotics are different from existing classes of antibiotics and are often designed to target specific mechanisms of bacterial resistance.

2. Why are new classes of antibiotics needed?

New classes of antibiotics are needed to combat the growing problem of antibiotic resistance. Bacteria have the ability to evolve and develop resistance to existing antibiotics, making them ineffective. The development of new classes of antibiotics can help to stay ahead of the constantly evolving bacteria and provide alternative treatment options.

3. How are new classes of antibiotics discovered?

New classes of antibiotics can be discovered through various methods such as screening natural sources like soil, marine organisms, and plants for potential antimicrobial compounds. Other methods include modifying existing antibiotics or developing entirely new compounds through chemical synthesis or biotechnology.

4. What challenges are faced in developing new classes of antibiotics?

Developing new classes of antibiotics can be a long and expensive process. It requires extensive research, testing, and clinical trials to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the new antibiotics. Additionally, there is a risk of resistance developing to the new antibiotics as well, making it important to continuously monitor and improve upon them.

5. Are there any new classes of antibiotics currently in development?

Yes, there are several new classes of antibiotics currently in development. These include antibiotics that target specific mechanisms of bacterial resistance, antibiotics derived from natural sources, and antibiotics that are effective against a broad range of bacteria. However, it is important to note that the development process can take several years and not all antibiotics in development will make it to the market.