Bound surface charge of a cylinder

In summary, the question is asking for the values of bound charges at the surface of a cylinder made of linear dielectric material with uniform dipole distribution when an externally applied field is applied in the direction parallel to the axis of the cylinder. The answer should be in terms of the given external electric field and the permittivity of the material. Using the equations for polarisation and electric displacement, and taking into account the boundary condition at the surface of the cylinder, the values for bound charges can be calculated.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Consider a cyclinder made of linear dielectric material with uniform dipole distribution. An externally applied field ##E_{ext}## is applied in the direction parallel to the axis of the cyclinder. What are the values of the bound chrages at the surface.

Homework Equations

##\sigma_{bound} = P . \hat n##

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to upload the drawing from my phone, so I will do my best to explain what I have done so far.

I drew a cylinder along the x-axis and labled each surface as follows

end of cylinder in negtive x region ##S_1##

body of cyclinder ##S_2##

end of cyclinder in postive x region ##S_3##

The electric field is going from ##S1## to ##S3##

So my values for the give surfaces are as follows

##S1=|P||1|cos(180)=-P=\sigma_b##

##S2=|P||1|cos(90)=0=\sigma_b##

##S3=|P||1|cos(0)=P=\sigma_b##

are these the value that the question is looking for or have I missed what the question is asking me for

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your answers must be in terms of the given external electric field, ##E_{ext}##. You may need to consider as given a permittivity ##\epsilon## for the material.

kuruman said:
I believe your answers must be in terms of the given external electric field, ##E_{ext}##. You may need to consider as given a permittivity ##\epsilon## for the material.

Im not quite sure what you mean? Could you please expand

Your answer would be correct if P were a given quantity. It is not. The given quantity is ##E_{ext}## so your answer must have ##E_{ext}## in the final expression on the right side of the expression for ##\sigma_b##. However, this cannot be done unless you assume that ##\epsilon## is also a given quantity because it too must appear on the right side of the expression for ##\sigma_b##. That's my interpretation of what the questioner expects the answer to be.

So polaristaion can be wirtten in the form of

##P=X\epsilon E##

It's probably more straightforward to use ##\vec{D}=\epsilon_0\vec{E}+\vec{P}##, ##\vec{D}=\epsilon\vec{E}## and the boundary condition at the flat surface of the cylinder.

Related to Bound surface charge of a cylinder

What is a bound surface charge?

A bound surface charge refers to the accumulation of electric charge on the surface of an object due to the presence of bound charges, such as polar molecules or ions.

How does a cylinder acquire a bound surface charge?

A cylinder can acquire a bound surface charge through the transfer of charge from other objects, such as through friction or contact, or through the accumulation of bound charges on its surface due to an electric field.

What factors affect the bound surface charge of a cylinder?

The bound surface charge of a cylinder can be influenced by factors such as the material of the cylinder, its shape and size, the presence of other nearby charged objects, and the strength of the electric field surrounding it.

What is the significance of bound surface charge in scientific research?

Bound surface charge plays an important role in various scientific fields, such as electrochemistry, materials science, and biology. It can affect the behavior and properties of materials, as well as the interactions between objects in electric fields.

How can the bound surface charge of a cylinder be measured or calculated?

The bound surface charge of a cylinder can be measured using techniques such as surface potential measurements or surface charge density calculations. These methods involve using specialized equipment and mathematical equations to quantify the amount and distribution of bound surface charge on the cylinder.