Surface Charge density of glass cyclinder

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the displacement vector and surface bound charges inside and outside an infinitely long cylindrical glass casing with a homogeneous charge density. To solve the problem, the author uses the equations ##\oint D . dA=q## and ##\sigma_b=P.\hat n##, as well as the fundamental equation ##D=\epsilon E##, modifying it to account for the glass being a linear dielectric.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Consider an infinitely long one dimensional conducting wire with a homeogenous charge density ##\lambda##, running along the central axis of an infinitely long cyclindrical glass casing of radius b (glass is a dielectric material). Calculate:

a) The displacement vector inside the glass

b) the surface bound charges on the outer surface of the glass

Homework Equations

a) ##\oint D . dA=q##

b) ##\sigma_b=P.\hat n##
##P=\epsilon_0\chi_e E##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So my attempt for a) I drew a Gaussian surface in terms of a cylinder and calculate all three surfaces like so:

##\oint D . dA=\int_1 D dAcos\theta+\int_2 D dAcos\theta+\int_3 D dAcos\theta##

By calulating ##\theta ## for the respectable surfaces ##1=90, 2=0, 3=90##

Thus leaving me with ##\int_2 D dA=D\int_2 dA=D\times A=D(L)(2\pi r)=q##
##\lambda=\frac{q}{L}##

##D=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r}## (electric displacement vector)

b) But I am not sure where to even start I have been reading a one book say that the surface charge cannot be calculate, but dosent really give an explanation and the other basically uses the two formulas which I have mentioned above. So I am a bit confused about the whole thing at the moment a would appreciate any help that anyone could give. I understand the equation I have given for part b are for a linear dielectric but I am just not 100% sure if the question I have been asked is a linear dielectric

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) looks good.

For part (b) I think you can assume the glass is a linear dielectric. Otherwise, I don't think you could solve the problem.
Besides the two equations you listed for part (b) you will need one more. There is a fundamental equation that relates D, E, and P.

Are you talking with respect to the diplacment vector in terms of ##D= \epsilon_0 E##

Taylor_1989 said:
Are you talking with respect to the diplacment vector in terms of ##D= \epsilon_0 E##
That's not the particular equation I was thinking of. However, your equation ##D= \epsilon_0 E## could be used instead, if you modify it so that it is valid inside the glass.

@TSny Ok I am slightly confuse how would I modify the equation?

Ok I think I have it the correction that needs to be make is following:

I assume the equation you where talking of is this:

##D=\epsilon_0 E+P## so from this then become ##D=\epsilon_0 E+\epsilon_0 \chi_e E##
By factoring out the ##\epsilon_0## I get ##D=\epsilon_0(1+\chi_e)##

Now ##\epsilon_0(1+\chi_e)=\epsilon## So then ##D=\epsilon E##

Taylor_1989 said:
Ok I think I have it the correction that needs to be make is following:

I assume the equation you where talking of is this:

##D=\epsilon_0 E+P## so from this then become ##D=\epsilon_0 E+\epsilon_0 \chi_e E##
By factoring out the ##\epsilon_0## I get ##D=\epsilon_0(1+\chi_e)##

Now ##\epsilon_0(1+\chi_e)=\epsilon## So then ##D=\epsilon E##
Yes. That looks very good.

Related to Surface Charge density of glass cyclinder

What is surface charge density?

Surface charge density refers to the amount of electric charge per unit area on the surface of an object. It is typically measured in units of coulombs per square meter (C/m²).

How is surface charge density calculated for a glass cylinder?

The surface charge density of a glass cylinder is calculated by dividing the total charge on the surface of the cylinder by its surface area. This can be expressed mathematically as: σ = Q/A, where σ is the surface charge density, Q is the total charge, and A is the surface area of the cylinder.

What factors can affect the surface charge density of a glass cylinder?

The surface charge density of a glass cylinder can be affected by several factors, including the type and amount of charge present on the surface, the composition and thickness of the glass, and the surrounding environment (such as humidity or temperature).

How does surface charge density impact the behavior of a glass cylinder?

The surface charge density of a glass cylinder can impact its behavior in various ways. For example, a high surface charge density can lead to repulsive forces between two charged cylinders, causing them to repel each other. Additionally, surface charge density can affect the electrical conductivity and dielectric properties of the glass.

What methods are used to measure surface charge density of a glass cylinder?

There are several methods used to measure the surface charge density of a glass cylinder, including electrostatic force microscopy, Kelvin probe force microscopy, and surface potential measurements. These methods involve using specialized equipment to measure the electrical properties of the cylinder's surface.