Books on Phase and Amplitude of a sine wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for literature on the decomposition of a sine wave into its three parameters: phase, frequency, and amplitude. The speaker expresses difficulty finding a source that can be cited seriously. They suggest trying to understand the concept using Wikipedia articles and provide two theorems related to sine and cosine functions.
CupOfAppleTea
Hi!
I am searching for litterature on the decomposition of a sine wave in its three parameters: phase, frequency and amplitude. I just need it to justify an analysis that I am doing this way and it appears to be hard to find such a book. I find many website but nothing I can cite seriously!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not so difficult. Just try it yourself! The effort is worth more than reading a lot of books! You just need the theorems
$$\sin(\alpha+\beta)=\sin \alpha \cos \beta + \sin \beta \cos \alpha, \quad \cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos \alpha \cos \beta-\sin \alpha \sin \beta.$$

Related to Books on Phase and Amplitude of a sine wave

1. What is a sine wave?

A sine wave is a type of mathematical function that describes a smooth repetitive oscillation. It is a fundamental waveform that is commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to model various phenomena such as sound, light, and electricity.

2. What is the phase of a sine wave?

The phase of a sine wave refers to the position of the wave at a specific point in time. It is measured in degrees or radians and determines the starting point of the waveform. A phase shift can occur when the waveform is delayed or advanced in time.

3. What is the amplitude of a sine wave?

The amplitude of a sine wave is the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. It is a measure of the wave's strength or intensity and is usually represented by the letter "A". The greater the amplitude, the louder or brighter the wave will appear.

4. How are the phase and amplitude of a sine wave related?

The phase and amplitude of a sine wave are related through trigonometric functions. The amplitude affects the height of the wave, while the phase determines its starting point. Changes in either the amplitude or phase can result in a different shape or position of the sine wave.

5. Why are books on phase and amplitude of a sine wave important?

Understanding the concepts of phase and amplitude of a sine wave is crucial in various scientific fields, including signal processing, electronics, and acoustics. These concepts are used to analyze and manipulate waves, which are essential in many practical applications, such as audio and radio communication systems.