Books on Modern Political Parties in America

• News
  • Thread starter MaddenDude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: William BlumIn summary, there are many great books available for those looking to learn more about modern political parties in America. Some recommended titles include "The High Cost of a Low Price" and "Enron: The Smartest Men in the Room" for recent documentaries, "The Corporation" by Joel Bakan for a more advanced read, and "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" by Al Franken for a comedic take. Other suggestions include "The Truth with Jokes" and "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" by Al Franken, "The Good Fight" by Ralph Nader, and "Killing Hope" by William Blum.
MaddenDude
Hi, I feel kinda stupid writing this but, I'm not very much into politics, but I want to know more about about it. I know the basics of political parties and such, but I want to learn more bout that. So does anyone know of any good books about modern political parties in america?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
what about michael moore's stuff? it's pretty easy to read. you could get his documentaries also, or any other recent documentary. i just got "the high cost of a low price" which is all about walmart & I've got on order "enron: the smartest men in the room" which is of course all about the whole enron scam. there's a book out with the same title as well i think. a bit more "advanced" is the corporation by Canadian law prof joel bakan. i know moore really likes investigative reporter greg palast & I've read a lot of his. (www.gregpalast.com) . he's got a hilarious/disgusting/informative book out called 'the best democracy money can buy' which is one of my favourites. edwin black's "ibm & the holocaust" was an instant classic when it came out; it goes through all the details of how ibm was instrumental in the slaughter of misc ppl during wwii. it kind of depends on where you live; i can think of lots of great stuff that would probably be interesting only to Canadians but less about the US specifically. if you haven't followed politics much i would suggest books that are more like 'entertainment' than textbooks since (crucially depending on the author) they give you the facts while remaining 'accessible'. if you want to read about Canada's situation & never have before i'd recommend mel hurtig's "the vanishing country".

Last edited by a moderator:
The real story series with authors like ,Noam Chomsky, is quite good. The 'Unseen Hand', I don't remember the author offhand. Al Franken, M. Moore(already mentioned above) are good.

Is there a local university in your area? They probably have a course on national politics. Find out what it is, and buy the textbook for it. (unless its one of those weird ones that only sells books to students)

Liberalism is a mental disorder by Michael Savage. :smile:

Lou1024 said:
Liberalism is a mental disorder by Michael Savage. :smile:

as i said, some books are better than others... :wink:

MaddenDude said:
Hi, I feel kinda stupid writing this but, I'm not very much into politics, but I want to know more about about it. I know the basics of political parties and such, but I want to learn more bout that. So does anyone know of any good books about modern political parties in america?

Thanks in advance.

Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them -Al Franken

Can you help me ComputerGeek, I'm thinking of another one of his books (Al Franken?) 'Stupid something'.

Amp1 said:
Can you help me ComputerGeek, I'm thinking of another one of his books (Al Franken?) 'Stupid something'.

The new one is "The Truth with Jokes"

Then there is "Rush Limbagh is a Big Fat Idiot"

Amp1 said:
The only book I know that starts with Stupid, is Stupid White Men by Michael Moore.

"The Good Fight", Ralphie Nader, great for anyone who isn't sure what the big deal is about campaign finance reform, among many other topics.

oh yeah! i forgot about william blum! his books are fairly 'accessible' and extremely well-documented. his & chomsky's are more well-documented than just about any other political books i know of. his "piece de resistance" is killing hope: US military & CIA interventions since WWII. other excellent books by him are "rogue state: a guide to the world's only superpower" (recently got OBL's endorsement, apparently) & "freeing the world to death: essays on the american empire". blum has a couple of my all-time favourite quotations:

We can say that the United States runs the world like the Taliban ran Afghanistan. Cuba is dealt with like a woman caught outside not wearing her burkha. Horrific sanctions are imposed on Iraq in the manner of banning music, dancing, and kite-flying in Kabul. Jean-Bertrand Aristide is banished from Haiti like the religious police whipping a man whose beard is not the right length.

If I were the president, I could stop terrorist attacks against the United States in a few days. Permanently. I would first apologize -- very publicly and very sincerely -- to all the widows and the orphans, the impoverished and the tortured, and all the many millions of other victims of American imperialism. I would then announce that America's global interventions -- including the awful bombings -- have come to an end. And I would inform Israel that it is no longer the 51st state of the union but -– oddly enough -– a foreign country. I would then reduce the military budget by at least 90% and use the savings to pay reparations to the victims and repair the damage from the many American bombings and invasions. There would be more than enough money. Do you know what one year of the US military budget is equal to? One year. It's equal to more than $20,000 per hour for every hour since Jesus Christ was born. That's what I'd do on my first three days in the White House. On the fourth day, I'd be assassinated.

Last edited:

Related to Books on Modern Political Parties in America

1. What is the purpose of books on modern political parties in America?

Books on modern political parties in America serve as a comprehensive resource for understanding the history, ideologies, and impact of political parties in the United States. They provide in-depth analysis and insights into the evolution of these parties and their roles in shaping American politics.

2. Who are the target audience for books on modern political parties in America?

The target audience for books on modern political parties in America includes students, researchers, political analysts, and anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the complex and ever-changing landscape of American politics.

3. Are books on modern political parties in America biased towards a particular party?

While some books may have a specific perspective or bias, most strive to present an objective and unbiased analysis of political parties in America. It is important to read from a variety of sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the topic.

4. Can books on modern political parties in America be used as a reference for current political events?

Yes, books on modern political parties in America can serve as a valuable reference for understanding current political events and their historical context. They can provide insights into the strategies, motives, and influences of political parties in present-day politics.

5. What are some recommended books on modern political parties in America?

Some popular and highly recommended books on modern political parties in America include "The Party Decides" by Marty Cohen, David Karol, Hans Noel, and John Zaller, "Party Politics in America" by Marjorie Randon Hershey, and "The Righteous Mind" by Jonathan Haidt.