Books about Special Relativity for preparation for QFT

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of learning QFT and the individual's concerns about their understanding of Special Relativity. The expert summarizer suggests that for a good understanding of relativistic QFT, there is no need to open a book on special relativity, but to simply read well-written material on the subject. They also recommend a book on classical electrodynamics as it excels in presenting special relativity. Another suggestion is to read Landau Vol:2 which explains the basics of special and general relativity. The expert summarizer emphasizes that the only prerequisites for learning QFT are tensor calculus and a good understanding of the Minkowski-covariant formulation of classical electrodynamics. There is no need for confusing
Joker93
Hello,
I want to learn QFT but I feel that my understanding of Special Relativity is not good enough.
Could you please recommend to me any good relativity books to fill my gaps?
My gaps are mostly conceptual.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the sole purpose of a good understanding of relativistic QFT, you don't need to open a book on special relativity, but simply read through some well written words on the subject. Remember that special relativity is key to understanding electrodynamics, therefore it's not hard to imagine that the best book out there on classical electrodynamics (i.e. the one by JD Jackson) excels in the presentation of special relativity.

dextercioby said:
For the sole purpose of a good understanding of relativistic QFT, you don't need to open a book on special relativity, but simply read through some well written words on the subject. Remember that special relativity is key to understanding electrodynamics, therefore it's not hard to imagine that the best book out there on classical electrodynamics (i.e. the one by JD Jackson) excels in the presentation of special relativity.
Ok then, I will try going through the special relativity section of a book on electrodynamics then. Thanks for the advice

The only thing you need is tensor calculus to start, and a good understanding of the Minkowski-covariant formulation of classical electrodynamics. In QFT you also learn about the (unitary) representations of the Poincare group, and that's all you need. You don't need confusing paradoxes you find in many introductory SRT books!

Maybe you should see Landau Vol:2 about Classical Theory of Fields, explains very well the basics of Special Relativity, and later General Relativity if you want to.

Likes vanhees71
thank you for your suggestions.

Related to Books about Special Relativity for preparation for QFT

1. What is Special Relativity and why is it important for QFT?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time in the presence of gravity. It is important for QFT because it provides the foundation for understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and in different reference frames.

2. Are there any recommended books for learning about Special Relativity before studying QFT?

Yes, there are several books that are commonly recommended for understanding Special Relativity before delving into QFT. Some popular titles include "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler, "Special Relativity: A First Encounter" by Domenico Giulini, and "Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory" by Leonard Susskind.

3. What mathematical background is needed for understanding books about Special Relativity for preparation for QFT?

A strong understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary for understanding Special Relativity and its applications in QFT. Some knowledge of differential geometry and tensor calculus may also be helpful.

4. Are there any online resources or lectures available for learning about Special Relativity for QFT?

Yes, there are many online resources and lectures available for learning about Special Relativity for QFT. Some popular options include the lectures on Special Relativity by Leonard Susskind on YouTube, the online course "Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory" on Coursera, and the "Special Relativity" section on the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy website.

5. Can I skip learning about Special Relativity and directly study QFT?

It is not recommended to skip learning about Special Relativity before studying QFT. Special Relativity provides the necessary framework for understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and in different reference frames, which is crucial for understanding QFT. It is important to have a strong foundation in Special Relativity before diving into the complexities of QFT.